“They gave us an extra trash basket!” A Surprise Trip 6 day POR. Nov and Dec 2014. Updated 2/8

Just got caught up on your trip report...Even with the occasional snafu it looks like you guys had a great time!

We stayed at POR as well this past July, and we loved it too. What a great resort! My husband and I went with our two boys (10 & 7) and our nephew (10). They loved the quiet pool the best I think. LOL

Just got caught up on your trip report...Even with the occasional snafu it looks like you guys had a great time!

We stayed at POR as well this past July, and we loved it too. What a great resort! My husband and I went with our two boys (10 & 7) and our nephew (10). They loved the quiet pool the best I think. LOL

Yes we had a great time! While Poly is my dream resort something always resonated with me about POR. It feels more... laid back I guess.

Update INCOMING. Uploading photos now cause i am a slacker. My wife is out of town this weekend so Chad and Leslie and I got together and discussed next trip. Since none of us won the power ball drawing we are still going in 2017... We will go the weekend after Thanksgiving 2017. Prob Sun through Sat and it looks like Poly is cost prohibitive but a lot can happen in 685 days. If not Poly then it looks like CBR

Update INCOMING. Uploading photos now cause i am a slacker. My wife is out of town this weekend so Chad and Leslie and I got together and discussed next trip. Since none of us won the power ball drawing we are still going in 2017... We will go the weekend after Thanksgiving 2017. Prob Sun through Sat and it looks like Poly is cost prohibitive but a lot can happen in 685 days. If not Poly then it looks like CBR

Wow same week we plan on going lol

Dinner and Our Last Park Hours

So I left off having nearly blown chunks exiting Space Mountain. We left the Magic Kingdom and took the Monorail to the Contemporary. We had a dinner ADR at Chef Mickey's. This was one of the important meals that we all said was a "Must Do" on this trip. I sooo wanted it to be excellent! When we got off the monorail in The Contemporary I was still very sick to my stomach. We had some time to kill before the ADR so I went over near the entrance. I think there was a small bar there or maybe it was some comfy couches. I fell in to a chair and just laid my head back and closed my eyes. After a while the feeling of vomiting passed although I still had a headache and NO appetite but it was time to get seated. I snapped a pic before dinner.
P1030195_zpsuamialme.jpg

So we took a photo at entrance and then were show our seats. It was not long at all before the stars of the show were there. The kids were excited.
P1030169_zpsaqpgsixj.jpg

CJ, JD, and Michael.
P1030166_zpstx1vwjfv.jpg

Zane
P1030174_zpsrxcdimxf.jpg

Nathan and Mattie
P1030181_zps7kbpcaci.jpg

Mattie and The Big Cheese
P1030192_zpsywk9sfyd.jpg

We all started to go get our food. The selections looked good but I was still very sick. I picked a few things (on the lighter side) and could barely eat them. The meal was incomplete for me. However just recently we talked about it and all of the adults were very unimpressed with the quality. I know that these pictures pretty much show the REASON for character meals, but I think at what they are charging the quality of the food does not meet the price. Just my 2 cents. We took our time with dinner to make sure the kids had their fill.

After dinner Chad and Leslie opted to head back to the hotel to pack as they wanted to leave much earlier than we did. We said our goodbyes to our friends. It really hit me at that point the trip was almost over. Very sad feelings. On the sickness front I started to feel human after we left. We were waiting at the monorail for a while.
P1030198_zpsbqjxvmmv.jpg

P1030202_zps637bpn3l.jpg

Then after 15 minutes an employee announced that it was stuck on the track somewhere. We bolted for the downstairs level. We were gonna walk back to MK from Contemporary.
P1030165_zpsjcvolyab.jpg

It took a little longer to walk then I expected. That is a decent walk to MK. When we got in to MK they getting ready for the light parade. We went down the bypass and made our way around Tomorrowland. I love the lighting at night here.
P1030208_zpsiehq3pfq.jpg

We made our way around to the last unexplored part of the MK.
P1030218_zpszuzwu3lz.jpg

Another visually stunning night time area.
P1030219_zps0iub4ut7.jpg

We first made it to Dumbo. It was walk on!
P1030221_zpsici9sngu.jpg

So pretty!
P1030220_zpst5gmgfit.jpg

I was still not up to spinning around so I opted to not ride. Jen took the kids.
P1030225_zpsze4vvprm.jpg

I snapped photos!
P1030227_zpsqeyhcc7h.jpg

P1030231_zpslt9v15b3.jpg

After the ride we finally got to take Mattie on a roller coaster. The Barnstormer. She loved it. We rode it 2x. Next we headed over to the splash pad.
P1030251_zpspihp4y3y.jpg

Right about this time Wishes started and caught Mattie's attention. I love this pic.

P1030253_zpswcd6wkkg.jpg

After the splash pad we decided to cal it a night. We made our way out. We saw a great deal of the fireworks walking along. We went through the bypass again and beat most of the crowd. We took the Ferry back over to the TTC as it was walk on almost. We headed back to POR and were asleep by midnight.

Up next... Packing, stopping off at Downtown Disney, and the LONG trip home.

Last edited:

Departure Day - Dec 4th

I woke up around 6 am the next morning. I was not in a good mood. Major sadness had set in. How can my dream trip, built up for over 10 years be over already!!! No one was awake so I walked over to the POR Food Court and used my Resort Mug (Oddly that was the ONLY time ANY of the 5 resort mugs were used). I am kind of glad we decided to do breakfast in our room each day. Even at 6 AM the food court was packed!

When I got back to the room Jennifer and the kids were awake and eating. The kids were in good spirits so they did not seem to be sad about leaving. They knew they were headed to Downtown Disney and both Nathan and Mattie seemed excited. Michael just wanted to know where we would be eating lunch!

The rest of the morning involved showering, packing, and loading up the van. We left the room about 10:30. I had to return the stroller we rented and check out. That was a very smooth process. I kind of dreaded getting that final "charge to room" visa bill but I was pleasantly surprised! There would not be a need to take out a 2nd mortgage. That improved my mood a tiny bit :)

We drove to Downtown Disney and having done little research about it before going I was not prepared for the construction mess. I had heard something about a parking garage that had just opened I think... wherever that was! We came in and I turned in to the first lot I saw which ended up being down near Cirque Du Soleil. The parking lot was almost full but luckily we found a spot. We got out and headed in.

I apologize for the lack of photos... I guess my departure day depression did not have me taking a lot of photos.

Mattie running ahead...
P1030261_zpskygmpjyx.jpg

...and dancing...
P1030264_zpsm0ralexe.jpg

Cool water tower...
P1030263_zpsbzmxonuf.jpg

Food trucks were not opened by this time.
P1030276_zpsfmehbdpd.jpg

Candy Store was open! We had several snack credits to use. Everyone got a nice treat.
P1030277_zpsq69cundb.jpg

Some more Christmas decorations and a Nathan.
P1030271_zps7xzzsf4h.jpg

I spied some water traffic. Probably coming from POR that we just left...
P1030283_zpslvhxoia9.jpg

"Mom!!! Can we.... " "Heck No!"
P1030274_zps5nerq3vo.jpg

Monster Energy was there for some reason...
P1030269_zpsd5gcbdkl.jpg

Lunch

We ate at Wolfgang Puck Express. This was probably (at least to me) the second ho-hum meal I had the entire time. The other being a lack luster burger across from Fantasmic in HS. I don't have any photos from lunch. I think we all ordered some sort of pizza. It was nothing special to me. I think Jennifer and the kids enjoyed their respective pizzas.

After lunch (about 12:30) we headed east. We walked a lot through massive Disney Springs construction. Mostly just temp walls until we came to Lego store. The boys love Legos. We spent about 45 minutes here.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%203834_zpsdyyveh8s.jpg

Mattie digging! Double hands!
P1030289_zps5aivdnne.jpg

Mattie building...
P1030292_zpsyox26lec.jpg

Michael constructing his racer.
P1030293_zpswvjcf7ov.jpg

Nathan making his. Nathan actually told the boy in the green shirt he was more interested in his racer looking good than being fast. Lol.
P1030294_zpsih7fhlkq.jpg

and finally racing....
P1030300_zpsurc8ou7q.jpg

We moved on after dragging the boys out and walked some more chcking out other things until we finally got to World of Disney.
P1030308_zpsg8vsczin.jpg

We spent a good amount of time in here. I told the kids they could pick anything they wanted under $40 and they went to town looking for stuff. We spent another 30 minutes in here. Mattie discovered the magic mirror. She loved that!
P1030311_zps030mdtul.jpg

Notice Michael doing bunny ears behind.
P1030313_zpsod9qvouo.jpg

We purchased the souvenirs Mattie had to wear hers immediately! Nathan got a pair of huge Stitch gloves. Michael opted for a shirt.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%203711_zps7i9rfeov.jpg

It was 2pm by now. I had wanted to be on the road by 1pm. We were driving from Disney World to Destin that day. It had got quite warm this afternoon and we had to walk from World of Disney back to the west parking lot! We stopped to use the very last snack credits and got the kids Mickey ice cream bars.

The Long Ride....

We all said our goodbyes to Disney World. I was a little less depressed and everyone else settled in for the ride home. Remember how I said we had our house on the market while we were at Disney World? Well about 3 hours in to drive home we got the news as were about to head west on I-10 from I-75 that the buyer agreed finally to the purchase. We had sold our home on the way home! Finally that mess was behind us and we were in closing.

We stopped for dinner at a drive through in Tallahassee about 5pm. We still had another 2.5 hours to Destin where we were spending the night. We had a very sketchy drive in to Destin because navigation told us to exit in Ponce De Leon as opposed to Defuniak Springs. We were dead of night driving down some 'squeal like a pig' country roads before we finally got to highway 331 to Destin.

We got to Holiday Inn Express Destin at 8ish. We barely unpacked the van, which by now was a mess of pillows, blankets, food wrappers, and Disney merchandise. Literally stuff fell out of the back of the van when I opened the back door. We got in room and Mattie immediately went to bed.

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%203854_zpsrt1ciokz.jpg

Destin Beach - Dec 5th

The next morning we woke up and decided to take the kids to the beach. It was chilly for 9 am but not too bad. Those beaches are beautiful! Here they are walking to the beach.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%203913_zpsyd1sydag.jpg

Mattie and I walking along the beach.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%204083_zpsqx8s3ggd.jpg

Michael and Nathan
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%204021_zpslaj8yryw.jpg

Mattie
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%204076_zpscw1fnsur.jpg

Sad Panda...vacation OVER!
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%204023_zpsnojysmbj.jpg

Jennifer had the kids gather Destin sand. We always take sand and shells from the beaches we go to and Jennifer displays them at home.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%204157_zps7q29bod3.jpg

So we checked out of the hotel and we decided to drive west on 98 and then back down to 399 all the way to Pensacola Beach. More beautiful sugar sand beaches! These are Pensacola Beach pictures from window of van.
P1030326_zpsmjgesfjp.jpg

P1030315_zpsktthk6gm.jpg

We stopped and picked up Chick-Fil-A in Pensacola at lunch. Then drove 6 more hours to Jennifer's mother's house in Louisiana. We spent the night there. We showed them pictures and the kids told their stories to their grand parents. We had a nice home cooked dinner.

The Final Leg - Dec 6th

We left Louisiana Saturday morning and drove for 3 hours and stopped in East Texas to visit Jennifer's father. We left after lunch and drove the last 3 hours to Dallas Ft Worth and making it home around 6PM.

I hope to post a follow up with a summary of my trip experience in a couple of days.

Thank you for reading!

I love the Destin/Pensacola area that's where we had our honeymoon at and last year took our DD on her first vacation to Fort Walton Beach. Such a pretty little spot....Now you're making me consider if we should do that on the way back or going as well.....any excuse for the beach lol

I love the Destin/Pensacola area that's where we had our honeymoon at and last year took our DD on her first vacation to Fort Walton Beach. Such a pretty little spot....Now you're making me consider if we should do that on the way back or going as well.....any excuse for the beach lol

The beaches were very pretty! Not at ALL like we have here in Texas.

Love your trip report! You have such a beautiful family and you DO have a knack for writing!

Read your whole report and most comments over the last two days. I have to say thank you! Very well written and informative! I'm headed back to WDW with my gdaughters next month we will be staying in a cabin at FW and much like yourself I haven't been in many years 1983 to be exact and have been reading a lot albeit not for years just a few months! That said reading this has been very good as with most on this board! Thank you again for the time and effort you spent doing this!!!!

This was a wonderful trip report! Thank you for sharing your once in a lifetime trip! I will look forward to the report after your 2017 adventure. It's so fun when once in a lifetime becomes "as often as possible".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter