“Official” 2018 Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Costumes & Guidelines

Hey Everyone! Just looking for some input as this will be my first MNSSHP (despite YEARS of trying to go).

Future DH and I will be celebrating our honeymoon in DW in October (flying out 2 days post nuptials). I swear I have spent more time thinking about costumes than how I'm constructing my wedding dress. :rotfl2:

Anyway.

After much deliberating and racking our brains (doing a better job of identifying what we didn't want to do) FDH made the suggestion of going as Mantis and Drax the Destroyer (GOTG)! Which should be fun!

Is this a common pair people see at the parties??

My main concern is Drax. I'm currently considering purchasing some type of zentai suit (either close to FDH's skin tone and air brushing it for depth or a Drax-skin tone and skipping the air brushing all together to save time, hoodless, of course!) and hand painting his tattoos with puff paint or something on to chest/back/arms (the costume would be completed with boots and a pair of pants) it will be made to look like he's not wearing a shirt, but he will most certainly be covered. FDH hates wearing cosmetics, so we would be skipping any face paint. Maaaaybe getting away with temp tattoos around the eyes but that's pushing it, he just can't stand how it feels XD.

Can anyone see a problem with this? Would this be considered "objectionable"? I can't see how it would violate the guidelines...but just wanted to check...as I have never been, I thought I would see what others have experienced!

I'm also open to other suggestions/input on how to tackle Drax! (or Mantis, but I think I've a good grip on that)

I think I'm going to do Kevin (me) and Russel (DS 7) from UP.

Anyone have a good place to get quality tulle at a good price?

I think I'm going to do Kevin (me) and Russel (DS 7) from UP.

Anyone have a good place to get quality tulle at a good price?

I go to Etsy for most of my fabric needs! I always read shop reviews before purchasing. I can't recommend a specific shop off the top of my head, there are many that sell tulle!

I also hit up Joann's for tulle (under $2 a yard); typically they have mobile coupons! I hold out for those if it's not a last minute project for optimal savings).

589DDB47-7CCA-406F-8F17-2C5BAC54EFEB.jpeg I want to make a Vanellope von Schweetz costume, and I want it to look as authentic as possible! My first thought was that it would be simple, but the more I look into it the more complicated it is. I found a shop on Etsy that sells leggings in the Vanellope design. They’re expensive but I’m not crafty so the price is worth me not having to spray paint pants! I’m just hoping they really are good quality like the shop suggests. The shop only has 17 reviews; they’re good reviews but it still makes me a little nervous!

My next challenge will be the hoodie. There is a recommended one on Etsy (the friend of the shop selling the leggings sells one) but it looks way too heavy for warm weather wear! I’m thinking of finding my own lightweight hoodie, or even a sleeveless hoodie. I can attempt to change the string or dye the string that’s already in the hood, and add the pink material to be pocket. The challenge is finding a hoodie in the right color. I’ll probably have to buy the leggings first, and then I’ll know exactly what color I need.

The skirt might be a little complicated, but I think I can eventually find something. I love that her skirt looks like the ridges of a Reese’s peanut butter cup! I don’t think I’ll find a skirt exactly like that, but if I did that’d be awesome!

Any advice on where to look for the hoodie and/or skirt? I’m hoping with the new movie coming out maybe things will show up this fall with the Halloween costumes!

Last edited:
View attachment 343140 I want to make a Vanellope von Schweetz costume, and I want it to look as authentic as possible! My first thought was that it would be simple, but the more I look into it the more complicated it is. I found a shop on Etsy that sells leggings in the Vanellope design. They’re expensive but I’m not crafty so the price is worth me not having to spray paint pants! I’m just hoping they really are good quality like the shop suggests. The shop only has 17 reviews; they’re good reviews but it still makes me a little nervous!

My next challenge will be the hoodie. There is a recommended one on Etsy (the friend of the shop selling the leggings sells one) but it looks way too heavy for warm weather wear! I’m thinking of finding my own lightweight hoodie, or even a sleeveless hoodie. I can attempt to change the string or dye the string that’s already in the hood, and add the pink material to be pocket. The challenge is finding a hoodie in the right color. I’ll probably have to buy the leggings first, and then I’ll know exactly what color I need.

The skirt might be a little complicated, but I think I can eventually find something. I love that her skirt looks like the ridges of a Reese’s peanut butter cup! I don’t think I’ll find a skirt exactly like that, but if I did that’d be awesome!

Any advice on where to look for the hoodie and/or skirt? I’m hoping with the new movie coming out maybe things will show up this fall with the Halloween costumes!
I was planning on doing Vanellope as well since DH is wanting to be Ralph. After looking into it for awhile we decided we may not do it. Vanellope has a lot of pieces to put together and I'm not crafty at all. If we do decide to do it I'm going simple. I found plain mint colored tights on Amazon and a brown skirt on Amazon. I also found a mint colored hoodie on Amazon. I would literally wear just that and be done because I'm lazy lol. We keep bouncing between ideas. DH really wants to be Ralph, but we thought being secondary characters from Nightmare Before Christmas would be fun, too. Too many choices...

I was planning on doing Vanellope as well since DH is wanting to be Ralph. After looking into it for awhile we decided we may not do it. Vanellope has a lot of pieces to put together and I'm not crafty at all. If we do decide to do it I'm going simple. I found plain mint colored tights on Amazon and a brown skirt on Amazon. I also found a mint colored hoodie on Amazon. I would literally wear just that and be done because I'm lazy lol. We keep bouncing between ideas. DH really wants to be Ralph, but we thought being secondary characters from Nightmare Before Christmas would be fun, too. Too many choices...
Oh it’s so true, there are sooo many good options! I did see a vanellope dress on Etsy from the wishes and wands shop if you’re interested. It’s $50 o_O but it’s one piece and you’d have your whole outfit! (Unless you wanted to buy the tights also)
D1FD8354-E563-4998-AA9A-BCCA67F9C8DF.jpeg

[GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]
View attachment 343140 I want to make a Vanellope von Schweetz costume, and I want it to look as authentic as possible! My first thought was that it would be simple, but the more I look into it the more complicated it is. I found a shop on Etsy that sells leggings in the Vanellope design. They’re expensive but I’m not crafty so the price is worth me not having to spray paint pants! I’m just hoping they really are good quality like the shop suggests. The shop only has 17 reviews; they’re good reviews but it still makes me a little nervous!

I bought this jacket from Walmart and there is also a shirt in the same color so that's what I'm going to wear so that I have options depending on the weather. I think the teal is a little too dark (haven't ordered my leggings yet either) but I'm gonna go with it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-...p-Hoodie/47325096?variantFieldId=actual_color

Okay Dh and I decided we won’t be doing wreck it Ralph. It was just a lot of pieces to put together and buy. We instead have decided on our costumes but want to keep them a secret right before we go! We are really excited about what we chose. We are still doing coco face paint for the other party.

I need help! So, for our MNSSHP costumes (9/3), my kids will be Wendy, Tinkerbell and Peter Pan. I will be Mr. Smee and my husband will be Captain Hook. I know it's going to be super hot so my husband is not wearing a full on costume. He's got the Captain Hook costume shirt I ordered off Etsy. Here's my questions. What should I do about his hat? I know Disney sells them but I can't justify paying $60 for a hat he will wear a couple times. Should he wear the wig and mustache? Should he get the hook? What color shorts should I try and get him? We leave in 17 days and I am freaking out!!!!!!

I need help! So, for our MNSSHP costumes (9/3), my kids will be Wendy, Tinkerbell and Peter Pan. I will be Mr. Smee and my husband will be Captain Hook. I know it's going to be super hot so my husband is not wearing a full on costume. He's got the Captain Hook costume shirt I ordered off Etsy. Here's my questions. What should I do about his hat? I know Disney sells them but I can't justify paying $60 for a hat he will wear a couple times. Should he wear the wig and mustache? Should he get the hook? What color shorts should I try and get him? We leave in 17 days and I am freaking out!!!!!!

my 2 cents - I wouldn't ask DH to wear wig/mustache in August. Hat would be great but you can probably find one at your local party store that would work. I would get a hook though. SHorts = black.

my 2 cents - I wouldn't ask DH to wear wig/mustache in August. Hat would be great but you can probably find one at your local party store that would work. I would get a hook though. SHorts = black.

Thank you so much!! Will go to the local party store this week. I figured the wig and mustache would be a no cause it would be super hot. Thank you for your help! :)

Hey Everyone! Just looking for some input as this will be my first MNSSHP (despite YEARS of trying to go).

Future DH and I will be celebrating our honeymoon in DW in October (flying out 2 days post nuptials). I swear I have spent more time thinking about costumes than how I'm constructing my wedding dress. :rotfl2:

Anyway.

After much deliberating and racking our brains (doing a better job of identifying what we didn't want to do) FDH made the suggestion of going as Mantis and Drax the Destroyer (GOTG)! Which should be fun!

Is this a common pair people see at the parties??

My main concern is Drax. I'm currently considering purchasing some type of zentai suit (either close to FDH's skin tone and air brushing it for depth or a Drax-skin tone and skipping the air brushing all together to save time, hoodless, of course!) and hand painting his tattoos with puff paint or something on to chest/back/arms (the costume would be completed with boots and a pair of pants) it will be made to look like he's not wearing a shirt, but he will most certainly be covered. FDH hates wearing cosmetics, so we would be skipping any face paint. Maaaaybe getting away with temp tattoos around the eyes but that's pushing it, he just can't stand how it feels XD.

Can anyone see a problem with this? Would this be considered "objectionable"? I can't see how it would violate the guidelines...but just wanted to check...as I have never been, I thought I would see what others have experienced!

I'm also open to other suggestions/input on how to tackle Drax! (or Mantis, but I think I've a good grip on that)

Sounds like an awesome costume ideas! I have never seen a Drax/Mantis but does not mean it woudlnt be cool to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!