“Official” 2018 Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party – Strategy and Itinerary Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Responses throughout in RED

First time at MNSSHP. Schedule bellow. We will be at the park already. We have a FP for Elena around 4.
  • Date of Party. 25 oct
  • Me 40 and DS6, DS12
  • 4.00 to 4.40 pm. Bypass. Photos.
  • 4.45 to 7.00 pm. 7D.
  • 7 to 7.15 pm. Look for roaming Cruella
  • We saw Cruella wondering in a circle around the tea cups and over by BOG. What I recommended to others and will say to you as well, easiest way to get her to stop is to try to get ahead of her then pull her attention as she walks by. Usually, if she stops to talk or take a pic she will then immediately move on, so lining up around her may not work.
  • 7.20 to 8 pm. Ride Haunted Mansion. Madames. HM and CH Magic Shots.
  • Be ready for chaos in the HM area. I will say, we waited in a longish line for the floating head shot and it moved pretty quick. You know...if you think your kids will make it to midnight, I might even switch this with the 15 minutes you have for the Monsters Party. I don't think that every gets particularly busy, and we went to the HM area around 11:45 and it was...shall I say...dead? So if you went while the second parade is happening or a bit after you might have good luck with short waits.
  • 8 to 8.25 pm. Meet Tarzan and friends.
  • 8.30 to 9.40 pm. Boo to you parade. Frontierland
  • You could tag team and send one parent to Sleepy Hollow to get food while the rest of you hold parade spots. Granted, carrying all those waffles might not be the easiest.
  • 9.40 to 10 pm. Sleepy hollow zero waffles, jack pushpop, hh straw clip and pumpkin straw.
  • 10 to 10.30 pm. Hallowishes near Pinocchio house.
  • That is a good spot, but you also might want to consider over by BOG. We watched Wishes from there once and there was a photopass set up there who took our pic in front of Beast's castle and timed it to get fireworks behind us. Of course, it's not a guarantee that a photopass will be there.
  • 10.40 to 10.50 pm. Donald and daisy
  • Not sure if this will be enough time for Donald/Daisy and Minnie. You might have to choose, so be sure to decide who you'd rather see beforehand. When we were over in that area around 11 for our party their line was probably still half an hour.
  • 10.50 to 11.15 pm. Minnie
  • 11.20 to 11.35 pm. Monsters Party.
  • 11.40 to 12.10 pm Main Street MS. SMK card. Mickey m&g.
  • Don't forget the headless horseman magic shot right before the tap styles.
  • One of my favorite trick or treat spots is inside Philharmagic, I believe there are two candy stops and they play The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on the big screen. Also don't forget the trick or treat spot back at the train station in Storybook Circus. One parent could take the kids while the other waits for the ducks or Minnie.
Trick or treat on the go after the parade.

You do have quite a bit planned, so I'd think of one or two characters that are low priority to have something in mind that you could skip if need be.

Hopefully some things that I said were helpful :)

Hope you have a great time!

My Responses in RED

Wondered if anyone would mind looking at our Party plan. We've been both last year and the year before. We don't want to do a lot of Characters so you'd think that would make it easier, but I've been having a hard time with wrapping my mind around it this year for some reason!

Party: DH and I. MIL. 2 kids (DD10 & DS 6)
Kids costumes: Rapunzel and Flynn
Party date: Sun. October 28
Priorities: TT for the kids, we'll be in Disney over Halloween itself
They want to meet Minnie, Donald and Daisy in their Halloween garb, I do too ;)
Things specific to party (Parade, Fireworks, Cadaver Dans, Tea Cups, HP show)

So here's what I've got so far....
  • 3pm Leave Resort (Dolphin) We have AP's and will be in MK several other times this trip so we don't need to be super early
  • 4:15pm Arrive/Bypass
  • 4:30pm Sorcerers Card/Bathroom
  • 5pm-ish FP: Rapunzel M&G (don't have this but will try and get after we use that days)
  • 6pm Dinner @ Pecos Bills (Do they serve before 6pm?)
  • 7:00-7:30pm TOT Pirates & Ride Pirates
  • 7:30-7:40pm TOT Jungle Cruise
  • Back though bypass to Frontierland
  • 7:45-7:50pm TOT CH House on way to HM
  • 7:55-8:55pm Haunted Mansion/Ghosts on the lawn/Photopass
  • Find spot along parade route
  • 9:05pm Headless Horseman
  • 9:15-9:35pm Parade
  • 9:35-9:45pm TOT Country Bear Jamboree
  • 9:50-10:05pm Cadaver Dans
  • 10:15-10:30pm Hallowishes (watch from Frontierland-bridge?)
  • 10:30-10:50pm TOT Fantasyland: Philarmagic & Village Hauss
  • 10:50-11:10pm Tea Cups
  • 11:15-11:45pm Meet Minnie - Donald/Daisy
  • 11:50pm-12:20am - Hocus Pocus Show
  • 12:25am Dancing Ghosts Photopass on Main Street on way out
  • Allergy friendly treat bag on way out ?? (Too late?)
  • Headless Horsman Photopass on way out
I think your plan actually looks very reasonable as is. The only thing I would mention, you might actually get thru things faster than you think, since you have a lot of trick or treating on your list. Also remember that those trick or treat lines drastically go down as the night goes on.

I might actually watch Hallowishes from Fantasyland, it gives you a really cool affect of having all the fireworks go off around you. I also might switch things around just a bit, if you do decide to watch fireworks from Fantasyland you could book it over to Storybook as soon as it ends and the ducks and Minnie might have a shorter line since the fireworks just happened. We were over at Storybook in that last hour at my party and I think the ducks had a reasonably long line (maybe 20? it's so hard to judge lines since all meets take different amounts of time).

When you go for the headless horseman photo op, be sure to check the photographers farthest from the exit as we found the line for that one to be non-existent.

ETA: Would love to do the lantern shot since DD is Rapunzel, just don't know if we can squeeze it in. Would be ideal to do before or after HM or on our way over to FL.

I'm not sure if I understand how this thread works. I have a list of things I would like to do, but haven't actually put them into a minute by minute plan. I just don't think I can get that specific, I was thinking or more like an order to do them in and was looking for advice from that POV. I'll have enough trouble keeping my 2 boys and DH going in order, I can't also try to keep them on a time table or they will revolt. I'll just list my priority list and see if anyone has any input, if this is wrong or not something I can get advice on, no worries, just ignore this post!

ETA - we are going Friday, October 26th!

Here is what I want to not miss --
parade
fireworks
hocus pocus show
SOTMK card pickup
purchase AP event specific merchandise (shirt, pin, tote bag if all still in stock)
Ride Pirates
Ride Space Mt
Ride Mad Tea Party
Ride Haunted mansion
Get pretty much all of the magic shots - HM (all 4) and headless horsemen most important
Some TOT trails, but don't have to hit all of them
I've never been through the bypass, maybe would like to go through but that would require major backtracking so this might have to be dropped

I am planning to stay until the end, I hope my kiddos 5 and 8 can make it. We have APs so we can enter early, and we will either eat at the CP at 2:30 or 4:50, I have both ADRs for now and will cancel one once we decide which to keep. I would like to ride the rides after the overlay's start, but I do have a HM FP for early and will just let that count as our HM ride as long as we get to the parks early enough to do it (it's for 1:05 and we might decide to come a bit later to increase the chances of the kids making it all night). We don't want to see any characters.

I appreciate any and all thoughts on how best to do this. is it doable, or too much?

I always recommend to see the first parade, I know others say the second but that last hour of party time is just such a good time for shorter waits for rides and characters and candy.

I would be sure to get a spot for the parade around 8:45ish in Frontierland. If you want to see it on Main Street I recommend the curb in front of the train station, for some reason that always seems to fill up last. The only downside is that you'll be at the tail end of the parade so it will take time to get to you. What you could do is have one parent hold the parade spots and have the other take the kids to meet Mickey, might have a pretty short wait right before the parade. I know you said you didn't want to meet any characters but it's something to occupy the kids while waiting for the parade if you choose main street. You can also get your SOTMK orange bird card while waiting for the parade if you haven't yet.

Remember for trick or treating that the lines will be much shorter later in the night. Also, my favorite spot is hidden inside Philharmagic, they play Legend of Sleepy Hollow up on the big screen and I think there are two candy stops.

I like the midnight Hocus Pocus show because it's bonus party time and is usually less crowded. If there is any hint of rain or if you think the kids won't make it, see an earlier one.

I would ride POTC whenever you were in the area, I think the best times for Space and Tea Cups will be after the fireworks.

For the fireworks, I was able to find a spot 5 minutes before they started in the fenced in grass area in front of Casey's. You might not want to cut it that close, but that is a good spot and usually people stay seated during the fireworks.

Hope some of that helped!

My Responses in RED

Thanks for taking the time to look over. I do hope we can move through some quicker. Tried to alot a little extra time for walking place to place and I'm sure there will be bathroom breaks, lol. It does take us a little longer too with a stroller parking and picking back up. But we'll need it to carry the candy and DS, haha. It did take me a bazillion drafts to come up with a way to make it all "fit" Hopefully we can accomplish the bulk of it.
Thanks again!

Responses throughout in RED
You do have quite a bit planned, so I'd think of one or two characters that are low priority to have something in mind that you could skip if need be.

Hopefully some things that I said were helpful :)

Hope you have a great time!

Thank you for your time and dedication!!
I cannot tag team as I'm alone with the boys.
Great info about Cruella. We printed a picture of our dogs with dalmatian costumes as a present for her.
I was doubting about HM. Good suggestion! BOG will be our fireworks spot then and hoping for the photo opp.

The fab 5 charachters are optional so I will see if everything else is done and if not we will go to HM and just meet Mickey when leaving.

Thanks for all your help!!

I asked on the MVMCP thread, but it was suggested that you guys would know best. Will the bypass be open for DVC entry at 2? I'm worried about us being caught at the front of the park with festival of fantasy going on.

I always recommend to see the first parade, I know others say the second but that last hour of party time is just such a good time for shorter waits for rides and characters and candy.

I would be sure to get a spot for the parade around 8:45ish in Frontierland. If you want to see it on Main Street I recommend the curb in front of the train station, for some reason that always seems to fill up last. The only downside is that you'll be at the tail end of the parade so it will take time to get to you. What you could do is have one parent hold the parade spots and have the other take the kids to meet Mickey, might have a pretty short wait right before the parade. I know you said you didn't want to meet any characters but it's something to occupy the kids while waiting for the parade if you choose main street. You can also get your SOTMK orange bird card while waiting for the parade if you haven't yet.

Remember for trick or treating that the lines will be much shorter later in the night. Also, my favorite spot is hidden inside Philharmagic, they play Legend of Sleepy Hollow up on the big screen and I think there are two candy stops.

I like the midnight Hocus Pocus show because it's bonus party time and is usually less crowded. If there is any hint of rain or if you think the kids won't make it, see an earlier one.

I would ride POTC whenever you were in the area, I think the best times for Space and Tea Cups will be after the fireworks.

For the fireworks, I was able to find a spot 5 minutes before they started in the fenced in grass area in front of Casey's. You might not want to cut it that close, but that is a good spot and usually people stay seated during the fireworks.

Hope some of that helped!

Thanks for taking time to read my question, and for all of your advice. it is great, and it does help!

I never did post an itenerary, because my two Party dates (25 & 28) come at the end of the Parties and I wanted to see reports of Parties in August and September in case any character meetings changed or there was useful information about them. I think that I’ve seen 2 Parties live streamed and parts of 2-3 others. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect and will list an abbreviated itinerary of the two Party nites.
October 25
Enter at 2 in DVC line and go through the bypass.
2:45. Get in line for Jack and Sally
4:45. Get in line for 7 dwarves
6:30 Get in line for Tweetle Dumb
Use app to order dinner at Cosmic Rays. Except for magic shots at HM and Main Street, the rest of the schedule will consist of trick or treating. Other characters that I wouldn’t mind meeting are Jack Sparrow (I’ll be dressed as a Pirate), cruella (if I can slow her down), Jafar, Tarzan, Moana (maybe on the 28th). Basically, I’ll adhere to a 15 minute rule during Party hours for waiting at M & G. I’d like to be in Frontierland for the first Parade, and then run over to HM for the magic shots if the wait times are short. We will watch fireworks while walking around (son isn’t a big fan of fireworks and I’m staying at BLT till October 30, so I can watch the fireworks on the 26th from there). We will watch HP at 12 and then try to do magic shots on Main Street on our way out, finishing with the Headless Horseman.
October 28
Taking it a lot more casual than our schedule on October 25.
2:00 Enter through DVC line and use the 3 FP’s
Grab something to eat around 5:30
Catch the second Parade on Main Street
Get more magic shots, rides, check out the dance parties and obviously more trick or treating and probably some shopping, if only the ubie popcorn bucket. I’ll be checking the weather starting next Tuesday and if one Party looks like it will have better weather, I’ll adjust accordingly. I’ve got several things, like magic shots, trick or treating locations and character M & G bookmarked for easier pull up, so I should be set. Next Tuesday, I’ll update my avatar after trimming the beard to look like a pirate’s beard, so be sure to say hello if you spot me.

I might switch a couple things around, instead of running to the HM right after the first parade, sit on the Adventureland side of the parade route and go straight to the characters back there since you seem to be interested in a lot of those. I'd start with Moana inside the tiki room, then try for Jack Sparrow, Jafar (his line is usually very short), then the Tarzan characters.

I would end up at HM around 11:30 for the magic shots over there. I was in that area at 11:45 for my party and there weren't lines for any of the magic shots.

I agree with checking weather for the parties, but maybe try to get all your must dos done in the first party so the second you can be much more relaxed.

For your second night, I highly recommend doing the first parade. That last hour of the party, 11, is just too good for empty character and attraction wait times to spend it watching the parade. In my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll incorporate them but from 9:30 to midnight, I’ll let my son dictate how many trick or treat stations we hit. If the weather is bad on the 25th, I’ll save the Parade for the second Party and go to the 9:15 show.

Thanks. I’ve asked about wait times for the Aladdin characters in the main thread but no one’s answered. I’d hoped 45 minutes each would be enough but if not we can always cut the gravediggers and try to do them later. I am worried about how a 2018 sellout will look compared to prior years’ sellouts, though, for sure. That’s the main reason we’re keeping the dessert party.
Only took us 15 minutes to meet Jafar. This was around 7pm

DH and I will be at the party this Friday night. It's our second party but our first adults only trip. I know there is a zillion percent chance if rain, so I'm trying to stay in good spirits and plan accordingly. We have ponchos and will dress accordingly, but any advice for indoor things to do if the rain is crazy heavy? My only big goals were the parade, rides, and maybe see Stitch.

Last edited:
As crowded as our party was on the 11th, what did work very well was our strategy for the show, fireworks and parade that I chose on the fly. I didn't do what we had planned at all, the party was so crowded that I skipped most all of what we planned on doing and walked up 30 minutes before the 2nd show and got a spot right up in the forecourt area where people remained seated. We were a bit close for the very best fireworks show, but excellent for the projections. As soon as the fireworks were over, we walked down to the train station and got a spot right on the curb in front of the station, then made a break for the exits with no problem at all. I had planned on fireworks, parade and last show, but glad I changed it up. By the end of the parade, I was ready to get out of there. For TOT, we did very little. Lines were really long in the 7-8 pm hour, so just stopped as we saw them on our way to watch the show. We stopped at 3-4 places and got enough to fill his bag they gave him- that's a lot of candy for any one kid to eat!

I asked on the MVMCP thread, but it was suggested that you guys would know best. Will the bypass be open for DVC entry at 2? I'm worried about us being caught at the front of the park with festival of fantasy going on.
No - they wont open it til 4

Thanks. I’ve asked about wait times for the Aladdin characters in the main thread but no one’s answered. I’d hoped 45 minutes each would be enough but if not we can always cut the gravediggers and try to do them later. I am worried about how a 2018 sellout will look compared to prior years’ sellouts, though, for sure. That’s the main reason we’re keeping the dessert party.
We went to the party on October 18 and our wait to see Jafar was only about 15 minutes maybe less. DH stood in line while I rode Magic carpets with DS. He actually had to let people in front of him because we were not done by the time he got near the front of the line. We meet him at 8:30.

UPDATE - 2018 Character & Trick or Treat PDF's have been removed.

They have been removed to prevent confusion for next year and some things do change from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!