“Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” A First timers Pre-trip report July 2020

Thanks for the ideas. I guess, I am really clueless how close I will be to the two parks at Universal and to CityWalk. Having never been even near to Universal, I am a total newbie to it except for what I have read about the parks and resorts here on the DIS.

I know I am going to definitely be spoiled staying at Royal Pacific and having the unlimited pass. I am really looking forward to it. I am going to be on the lookout for tickets discounts.

Thanks for the ideas. I guess, I am really clueless how close I will be to the two parks at Universal and to CityWalk. Having never been even near to Universal, I am a total newbie to it except for what I have read about the parks and resorts here on the DIS.

I know I am going to definitely be spoiled staying at Royal Pacific and having the unlimited pass. I am really looking forward to it. I am going to be on the lookout for tickets discounts.

CityWalk is basically the entry to the parks - you have to walk through at least part of it to get from the ferry docks to the park entrances. So you don't have to explore CityWalk if you don't want to, but it's not like it's out of your way like Disney Springs. CityWalk's location makes it really easy to pop out of the parks for more lunch or dinner options. Some of the CityWalk locations are now taking dinner reservations which is awesome if you're a planner at heart.

Hi following along. I love to see new people trying Universal especially for HP. Our family is big HP fans and could spend hours in both lands. I have always had a problem keeping things a surprise LOL!! It sounds like you have it covered well and it will be awesome.

You will be spoiled with the express pass and good idea we are usually there over 4th of July and it is busy. RP is a pretty resort and you will enjoy how close it is to everything. I would look at the menu sticky there are plenty of great restaurants in CIty Walk also.

I agree starting with Diagon Alley is best. then taking Hogwart's Express over to Hogsmeade. Just make sure you have park to park tickets, needed for the train.

My teens enjoyed the interactive wands and doing the spells. Make sure to take advantage of Early Entry, it is so much nicer to see the HP lands with less people.

My family also prefers Leaky Cauldeon, we eat there at least once on the trip. Also Floren's Florescue's has the best ice cream in Diagon Alley. Tip if you are in Hogsmeade and want butter beer go to the Hogs Head Pub attached to Three Broomsticks. There is usually not a line as like outside.

My DD and I get choked up every time we walk into Diagon Alley.

Happy Planning!

CityWalk is basically the entry to the parks - you have to walk through at least part of it to get from the ferry docks to the park entrances. So you don't have to explore CityWalk if you don't want to, but it's not like it's out of your way like Disney Springs. CityWalk's location makes it really easy to pop out of the parks for more lunch or dinner options. Some of the CityWalk locations are now taking dinner reservations which is awesome if you're a planner at heart.

:worship: Thanks for helping such a newbie understand Universal! Your insights and tips will help us get the most out of our two days and I will not feel totally stressed out trying to figure it all out right when I get there.
And, yes, I am a planner, so I may have to consider at least looking at our options for dinner at CityWalk.

Hi following along. I love to see new people trying Universal especially for HP. Our family is big HP fans and could spend hours in both lands. I have always had a problem keeping things a surprise LOL!! It sounds like you have it covered well and it will be awesome.

You will be spoiled with the express pass and good idea we are usually there over 4th of July and it is busy. RP is a pretty resort and you will enjoy how close it is to everything. I would look at the menu sticky there are plenty of great restaurants in CIty Walk also.

I agree starting with Diagon Alley is best. then taking Hogwart's Express over to Hogsmeade. Just make sure you have park to park tickets, needed for the train.

My teens enjoyed the interactive wands and doing the spells. Make sure to take advantage of Early Entry, it is so much nicer to see the HP lands with less people.

My family also prefers Leaky Cauldeon, we eat there at least once on the trip. Also Floren's Florescue's has the best ice cream in Diagon Alley. Tip if you are in Hogsmeade and want butter beer go to the Hogs Head Pub attached to Three Broomsticks. There is usually not a line as like outside.

My DD and I get choked up every time we walk into Diagon Alley.

Happy Planning!

Thank you so much for sharing your tips! :surfweb: The park to park tickets are a must!

I have been wondering if my DD would feel a bit out of place or silly for being a teen and getting the interactive wands and doing spells. I wasn't sure if it is mostly young kids doing the spells. But I think she will really enjoy it and so it is good to get feedback that your teens do. :stir:

We will for sure have to put Floren's Florescue's on our to do list. My DD just ADORES ice cream!🍦

I finally shared my plans for this trip with my hubby! :love2: He is not at all interested in Harry Potter. He watched the first movie with us but that is it. And he is not a Marvel comics fan or anything else, plus he hates spending money on overpriced theme parks. Because he will not be able to get off work, he will not be going on the trip with us. That is a bummer because I know once he is in the parks he would really have fun riding the rides with our kids, especially the more intense ones!
I shared with him my plans to take the kids, and my DD in particular to Universal after our visit with my siblings who all live in South Carolina. Florida will be just an extension to that trip. He knows how much our DD was disappointed in not getting to go to Universal with the band trip so he is fine with the plans. And he likes how we will be surprising her with it on her birthday, which is just one month from today.

So, now it is time to get all the things ready for the surprise. I am going to make or but an acceptance letter for her, a ticket to the train and am thinking about getting her a lanyard since it sounds like we will need them for our fast passes. I will look over the lanyards but I might wait and let her pick out her own as part of the anticipation of the upcoming trip. I know her very well but still she might prefer to pick out her own.

I'll be following along with you :wave2: What a great birthday surprise that will be! Can't wait to hear more of your plans. The pre planning is half the fun!!!!

I'll be following along with you :wave2: What a great birthday surprise that will be! Can't wait to hear more of your plans. The pre planning is half the fun!!!!

:moped: Thanks for following along on this journey with me. I agree, the pre-planning is a huge part of what I like in planning a trip. I am hoping the two full days will give us plenty of time to experience the Harry Potter stuff and maybe a few other things. If we only get to enjoy the Harry Potter stuff this trip, that will be fine. We can just start planning another trip to Universal then.

My kids already are talking about wanting to go when Mario land opens. I am sure Mario land or whatever it will be called will be absolutely amazing but I fear it will be super crowded and might have huge issues with people not actually getting to ride the big headline Mario Kart ride (like the new Rise of the Resistance), plus it is at least three years away before it is planned to be open.

Boy, do I really need this trip! Thinking about my summer plans for trips to WDW and Universal really helps me through stressful days at work, especially like the one I am having today. I just had to come here to the Dis to get my mind off things here for a bit. :disrocks:

In all our visits we have never eaten at Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron so I can't help you there. As far as CityWalk goes, it is SO close to your hotel (walking) and there are many restaurants (Antojitos, Vivo, CowFish, etc.,) that you will be spoiled for choice. RPH also has nice dining options. You will be at CityWalk every time you go to either park. Hope that helps a little.

Thank you. I will have to check out all the menus! It will be a fun way to pass the time until our trip and I can get input from my daughter too.

I preferred the options at the Leaky Cauldron - their menu is just a little different than TTB. The bangers sandwich, the shepherd's pie, and the Guinness beef stew were all big hits with my group. SchumiGirl's reports have really good things to say about the dining options at RP and Sapphire Falls - you should definitely check them out! The Wok Experience might be a good option for you guys?
Thanks for the feedback. Thanks again for the suggestions, I think I will go check out the menus now, and get back to you all later when I have narrowed down some of our options. Since we will only be there two days, we will only have about four meals and snacks while there.

Today is my daughter's birthday and was suppose to be the day I revealed to her our plans to go to Universal this summer. With the uncertainty of this virus and the impact it will have, I have put our trip this summer on hold. I am super bummed by it. I know that in the reality of things missing a fun vacation is nothing compared to what so many people are going through and having to deal with and worry about. But I can still be disappointed in not being able to share with my daughter the news of a fun trip she has wanted to go on for a long time, especially on her birthday. She had her band trip cancelled for December, now she is e-learning and most likely her prom will be cancelled. She is a junior so she will have her senior year for events such as prom.
I know parents like me around the world are sad that their kids are missing out on fun events and just everyday stuff because of this virus.

Walt would want us all to remember that we can still dream, and I will and I will someday post again in this thread or a new one about a trip I have planned. So, here's to tomorrow and all the beautiful memories and fun we will make. Together, we need to all just keep swimming!

He is not at all interested in Harry Potter.

It stinks that you had to postpone your trip, but now you have time to work on hubby. Mine could care less about HP, but he has come to love Universal.

So, here's to tomorrow and all the beautiful memories and fun we will make. Together, we need to all just keep swimming!

Exactly! We are going to have so many trip reports in a few months.

Just one small thing I know you post phoned your trip. I always get an annual pass to Universal its so worth it. Maybe $50 more then the price of a 3 day ticket. I take my kids for a mini xmas trip and do universal and 1 day at Disney. The annual pass is great for the short weekend trips, Loews Royal is an awesome hotel! Agree on the leaky cauldron its the much better imo then 3 broomsticks. Don't get the dining pass not at all like Disney Dining.

It stinks that you had to postpone your trip, but now you have time to work on hubby. Mine could care less about HP, but he has come to love Universal.

Exactly! We are going to have so many trip reports in a few months.

Such a crazy world we live in today. I will have to pass my time until next summer reading other people's trip reports. I guess it gives me more time to plan my daughter's surprise trip announcement.

Just one small thing I know you post phoned your trip. I always get an annual pass to Universal its so worth it. Maybe $50 more then the price of a 3 day ticket. I take my kids for a mini xmas trip and do universal and 1 day at Disney. The annual pass is great for the short weekend trips, Loews Royal is an awesome hotel! Agree on the leaky cauldron its the much better imo then 3 broomsticks. Don't get the dining pass not at all like Disney Dining.

The annual pass would be great if I live closer to Universal but it is a 17 hour drive alone *not including any gas/food stops along the way just to get there. And since I am a teacher, I can't really just take off for a few days here and there. So, I can't see how the pass would work for me unless I planned the first summer trip and then make sure and go on my second summer trip right before the first trip's pass expires a year later.

Thanks for the heads up about skipping Universal's dining pass and for the recommendation for Leaky Cauldron.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!