“I do not deal with my problems like I know I should” - F&W Fest 2018 - Update 1/20 Going Home

I Can’t Tell Time

Our afternoon was spend relaxing along with a little bit of packing up as I planned what my outfits would be for Saturday and the drive home. I had it in my head that Candy Sushi was at 5:00PM so we left the room around 4:15PM to head towards The Land. We were early so we looked around Sunshine Seasons and loved all the decorated desserts but just got a Diet Coke while we relaxed and waited.

lXw1ThF.jpg

HBBDJ3N.jpg

IWZyeRS.jpg

docYsLz.jpg

6nGH5Vr.jpg

At 5:00PM, we realized that I’m an idiot. It really was at 5:30PM so I got a look from my husband that was not a good one but we stuck it out and waited. Thank goodness for smartphones to pass the time as my husband didn't’ feel like going on a spin of Living with the Land. Around 5:15, they let us in to get sat. There were some other adults but the group was about 50/50 adults/kids. They didn’t have the supplies anymore for the trix roll but they had the ones for the skittles and swedish fish.

KC6wasF.jpg

Recipes and Chef Hat

YnYE2pO.jpg

Ingredients

msiqzjc.jpg

Wearing Chef Hat

We started off by making the Taste the Rainbow Roll.

FRVgGYH.jpg

QKZfEpi.jpg

71JZaFk.jpg

zyGl65k.jpg

feB7Rzo.jpg

Sauhqpz.jpg

We then made the Candy ForYa Roll.

LLU59A2.jpg

Odnr4J6.jpg

E46Mj5a.jpg

UB1zQ3W.jpg

3K9jXLK.jpg

My husband ate the swedish fish from his rolls and we packaged up what we didn’t enjoy during the event so we could snack on it later. It totally was my breakfast the next day as rice krispies are cereal!

glbEstB.jpg

Waiting To Be Packaged

The event took about 30 minutes. Yes, it was a little silly to being doing an event developed for children as an adult but we had a lot of fun doing it! If they offer it again, we’ll pass and let others enjoy.

We headed out of the park and walked over to the Yacht Club for dinner. We had decided the day before that we’ve had enough Italian this trip and needed to not eat anymore. While looking at the available options on My Disney Experience, we decided to give Ale & Compass a shot since it was near our hotel and in walking distance.

es7MIhZ.jpg

Walking Along The Lake

We were quickly seated and presented the menus to review. Neither of us were extremely hungry but we figured we could have a nice meal of appetizers here. Our server was really strange. He admitted to us he was on his way to an EDM concert when he got called in but told us we should go to the concert as it was a lot of fun. The guy was in his 50s and that recommendation just felt really weird coming from him.

HeUe2rq.jpg

Menu

As I hadn’t had enough to drink this trip, I went with a classic Manhattan while my husband had a Coke Zero.

67x7Lli.jpg

Manhattan

For one of my two appetizers, it shouldn’t shock anyone here that I got Shrimp. I mean, it is the theme of this trip! This was excellent! The butter garlic sauce was flavorful and the focaccia was perfect for soaking it all up!

BerxuGc.jpg

Roasted Garlic Shrimp - House Made Focaccia

My other option was the bacon flatbread. This ended up being entirely too much between the two options but I really enjoyed this flatbread. How can you go wrong with huge chunks of bacon with onions and cheese? Yum!

hAVYWWl.jpg

Applewood-Smoked Bacon Flatbread - Caramelized Onions with Gruyere Cheese & Arugula

My husband was very happy with the lobster & corn chowder. There was a ton of lobster in there considering it was just an appetizer portion of soup. He had no problem finishing out the bowl!

im9OZSp.jpg

Lobster & Corn Chowder

He also enjoyed his truffle fries as they were crispy and well made.

reRK2uv.jpg

Truffle Fries With Roasted Shallot Mayo

We walked back to the hotel for the evening, sad that we knew tomorrow was our last full day!​

It’s interesting that Mexico keeps menu same while Italy and France change it up. I’m really interested to see what happens with special events for the next festival. Candy sushi looks so cute. I know there was a lot of controversy here on the DIS about adults participating. I had no issue with it but thought it was a prime example of Disney being its own worst enemy with vague communication and seriously underestimating demand. Think they annoyed more guests than they delighted. I’m SO glad you enjoyed Ale & Compass. I think it’s a hidden gem (perhaps influenced by my typically staying at an Epcot resort). I would put their burger up against any as one of the best in WDW. I really like their breakfast too. Hate when vacation is winding down!

The sushi class looks fun, I love Swedish fish

I haven’t seen much for reviews on Ale and Compass, the appetizers look really yummy!

How fun is that sushi!!!! Casey would so love to do that. We are supposed to get rain this weekend so if I'm feeling enterprising this would be something fun to try and make.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Ale and Compass. I would be all over your shrimp and the flatbread. I wanted to check it out on our last trip, but Jason turned it down every time. Not sure why, but I'll have to use your positive recco to see if we can get him there again. Since it has last minute openings it is certainly a place that we at least need to try.

It’s interesting that Mexico keeps menu same while Italy and France change it up. I’m really interested to see what happens with special events for the next festival. Candy sushi looks so cute. I know there was a lot of controversy here on the DIS about adults participating. I had no issue with it but thought it was a prime example of Disney being its own worst enemy with vague communication and seriously underestimating demand. Think they annoyed more guests than they delighted. I’m SO glad you enjoyed Ale & Compass. I think it’s a hidden gem (perhaps influenced by my typically staying at an Epcot resort). I would put their burger up against any as one of the best in WDW. I really like their breakfast too. Hate when vacation is winding down!

It should be interesting to see how or what special events still exist next year. We're only going up for Wine & Dine so it won't affect us much in 2019 but we want it all back in 2020!

As far as the controversy, oh well...it wasn't restricted so that means all can have fun. They easily could have had like 15 to 20 more people in the area where Candy Sushi was to help with the demand or offer even more times.

It is a nice hidden gem! We had breakfast there yesterday as well and enjoyed that. Good to know the burger is great!

That candy sushi looks so cute! Sounds like fun :)
It was a lot of fun! Totally silly but worth it.

The sushi class looks fun, I love Swedish fish

I haven’t seen much for reviews on Ale and Compass, the appetizers look really yummy!

I think Ale & Compass suffers for being at the same hotel as Yachtsman and being a 1 TS in a hotel that doesn't get much talk around these boards since its the 'convention' hotel. We really enjoyed it! Hopefully it keeps being great now that the opening jitters are all out.

How fun is that sushi!!!! Casey would so love to do that. We are supposed to get rain this weekend so if I'm feeling enterprising this would be something fun to try and make.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Ale and Compass. I would be all over your shrimp and the flatbread. I wanted to check it out on our last trip, but Jason turned it down every time. Not sure why, but I'll have to use your positive recco to see if we can get him there again. Since it has last minute openings it is certainly a place that we at least need to try.

Are you furloughed? Casey would have totally loved the Candy Sushi! I hope I helped you convince Jason to try it at least once.

Hooray For Hollywood

Another day, another early wake up. I know he knows how to be quiet but it wasn’t happening this trip. I enjoyed my breakfast sushi while I got ready for the day.

o7djS2X.jpg

Breakfast

We got to Hollywood Studios around 8:40AM and they started letting us into the park at 8:50AM. While we were heading with the crazy rush towards Toy Story Land, at least we weren’t heading to Slinky Dog. Along the way, I got creeped out by their Christmas Decorations.

MCKyxes.jpg

Creepy Children

Our first order of business was Toy Story Mania which was walk on since the crowds headed other places. We had a good run at Toy Story where we got two of the hidden mini-games to come out. I beat my husband as well which is always fun along with getting best in vehicle! One of these days I will get Best This Hour or Best This Month!

fgUfrKa.jpg

Wait Time

oRwRuci.jpg

Queue

JnoYw00.jpg

Final Scores

DMHgzle.jpg

Best In Vehicle

They had Buzz out in his Christmas Best but the line was long so I took a stalker photo. As we were leaving Toy Story Land we were really happy as the line to get onto Slinky Dog was all the way to One Man’s Dream. That is insanity.

9Tkk9O7.jpg

Santa Buzz

We headed over to Star Wars where we got the Millenium Falcon, Yoda and Naboo. I swear we always seem to get Naboo!

3N8Gxhj.jpg

Jedi Stitch

BZtdZZn.jpg

AT-AT

lH1nCjJ.jpg

Star Tours

We headed over to Rock’n’Roller Coaster slowly as we had some time to kill before our FP+ window open so I got some more looks at their Christmas Decorations and we looked around the stores in Sunset Blvd.

5TjQtyk.jpg

Santa Dino

67vdJvn.jpg

Christmas Tree

kkjlY1e.jpg

Storm Troopers

yqqCDhc.jpg

Christmas Poodles

tc1n11d.jpg

Alien Headband

zjfJ2Di.jpg

Alien Mickey Ears

We headed into Rock’n’Roller Coaster for our next FP+ and didn’t have long before we were being whipped around.

VHHQQcx.jpg

Rock’n’Roller Coaster

M7ldOgf.jpg

Pre-Show

vbBvTRU.jpg

Photopass

RGmjB2E.jpg

Christmas Stitch

After our ride, I was in need of refreshment and I really wanted one of those Christmas Alien Popcorn buckets! The first popcorn stand we headed to was way too crowded so we went to the one by Frozen Sing-a-long and the line wasn’t too bad. We sat down at the tables by ABC Commissary to enjoy the popcorn enough that closing it would be an option. I ended up using the Alien at work during Christmas Season as my candy dish.

hl5SLRH.jpg

Watermelon Alcoholic Beverage and Popcorn

We still had some time to kill before our Slinky Dog FP+, we figured visiting Muppets would be a nice way to pass the time.

XRkllZF.jpg

Kermit & Animal

onfYGVa.jpg

Back In 5 Minutes

mYtwszt.jpg

Kermit’s Suit

3tuYtdi.jpg

Muppet Vision 3D

We headed over to One Man’s Dream to look around for a bit as we killed some more time.

jG5ldCI.jpg

Main Street USA

3onTSSl.jpg

Galaxy’s Edge

January Living With The Land Update

As of January 11th, 2019, Living with the Land is still researching...

ml3rPk8.jpg

And that is all the update you will see from our January Trip as I'm not doing a dining/trip report for it.​

Those decorations at HS were not up when we last went, which would have been that Sunday before. I for sure did not see creepy children. Glad TSM was a walk on. I'm not sure I've ever seen that!

What is up with the early mornings. I think I would have thrown something at him by that point!! I agree that some of the holiday decor at DHS is creepy! I didn’t care for it at all... but they do get “points” for doing something...I just didn’t care for it. Slinky Dog is madness. And I fear Star Wars is going to be 100x that. I really need to learn the secrets on TSM - such a fun ride but boy does my arm get tired! Love the popcorn bucket - great idea to use as a candy dish! LOL on research at The Land...I’ve made it a point to look every time I go since you mentioned it. Sorry to hear no report... hope you guys had fun and your husband was able to enjoy the races.

Are you furloughed? Casey would have totally loved the Candy Sushi! I hope I helped you convince Jason to try it at least once.
No, thankfully I'm not. How about you?

We had a good run at Toy Story where we got two of the hidden mini-games to come out.
I'm going to have to figure out how to do these things so I can finally beat Jason!

Both of these make me so happy!!! Christmas in MGM is just the best. I mean what to Christmas poodles have to do with anything, but there they are. MGM is most definitely my least favorite park, but at Christmas time it becomes my favorite.

And this!!!!! I loved the pluto one we got last year but this is even better!

ml3rPk8.jpg

And that is all the update you will see from our January Trip as I'm not doing a dining/trip report for it.
This somehow says nothing but everything all at once :-) Hope the trip was good and the hubby survived the marathon.

We got to Hollywood Studios around 8:40AM and they started letting us into the park at 8:50AM. While we were heading with the crazy rush towards Toy Story Land, at least we weren’t heading to Slinky Dog. Along the way, I got creeped out by their Christmas Decorations.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks those decorations are creepy!

We headed over to Star Wars where we got the Millenium Falcon, Yoda and Naboo. I swear we always seem to get Naboo!
Why are there so many flights going to Naboo?!?!?! Doesn't make any sense--the wookie planet is much cooler :)

Those decorations at HS were not up when we last went, which would have been that Sunday before. I for sure did not see creepy children. Glad TSM was a walk on. I'm not sure I've ever seen that!

It was cool seeing how everything was turning into the holidays during the trip. We're here for Marathon Weekend and everything is slowly becoming de-Christmas while we are here. It probably didn't stay a walk-on for long! Today the wait told me it was going to be 30 minutes - we ended up waiting 45 but that was ok as we needed to kill some time before our AS2 FP+.

What is up with the early mornings. I think I would have thrown something at him by that point!! I agree that some of the holiday decor at DHS is creepy! I didn’t care for it at all... but they do get “points” for doing something...I just didn’t care for it. Slinky Dog is madness. And I fear Star Wars is going to be 100x that. I really need to learn the secrets on TSM - such a fun ride but boy does my arm get tired! Love the popcorn bucket - great idea to use as a candy dish! LOL on research at The Land...I’ve made it a point to look every time I go since you mentioned it. Sorry to hear no report... hope you guys had fun and your husband was able to enjoy the races.

I debated on throwing something at him. They do get points for doing something, especially something that is a bit different. I fear for Star Wars as well although hopefully then Toy Story Land will be a bit better.

For TSM - you have to have a partner working with you to get some of the games. For the dinosaur one, you have to make the Volcano Erupt by popping all the long skinny balloons under the top of the volcano three times - then meteors come up and you have to keep popping them until they crash on the ground and then another surprise happens. Both sides of the meteors have to hit the ground though. Not sure how I got the mini game for the plates to show up as we lucked into that one!

Yeah, its nice to have a trip where I don't have to worry about photos or being attached to my phone as much! I knew it wasn't going to be a food heavy trip because my husband has been eating mostly clean and barely drinking - although I've been drinking to make up for it.

No, thankfully I'm not. How about you?
That's great to hear! I'm local government so I'm not affected plus my department is funded by review fees.

I'm going to have to figure out how to do these things so I can finally beat Jason!
YOu should! It makes me laugh how we usually do well and the people in the vehicle with us don't get it. When leaving the ride today, they were talking about how that had to be the addition of each pair as there is no was for someone to get 212K and we just laughed at each other for that.

Both of these make me so happy!!! Christmas in MGM is just the best. I mean what to Christmas poodles have to do with anything, but there they are. MGM is most definitely my least favorite park, but at Christmas time it becomes my favorite.
They do Christmas well there! It hurts me that MGM is your least favorite but I think once all the construction is done and new rides open up, I hope it moves up in the list.

And this!!!!! I loved the pluto one we got last year but this is even better!
It is! It makes me happy.

This somehow says nothing but everything all at once :-) Hope the trip was good and the hubby survived the marathon.
Isn't it sad?

The trip is going well! My husband PR'd his half marathon time which is awesome. He's going to wake up at 3AM tomorrow to do it all over again. Hopefully a PR again but he also wants to just have fun.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks those decorations are creepy!
Oh, they get worse but that will be Monday's or Wednesday's update!

Why are there so many flights going to Naboo?!?!?! Doesn't make any sense--the wookie planet is much cooler :)
At least today we didn't get that! We got Stormtroopers, My husband as the Rebel Spy for the first time ever, Wookie Planet, Admiral Ackbar and then Boba Fett/Death Star so it was great.

I love the Alien popcorn bucket, so cute!

Have a fun time at the parks this weekend!

That bucket is awesome! It makes me happy.

We are having a great time! Taking is slow and easy since its mainly about his runs.

Early mornings, clean eating, and no drinking? Who did you marry?!?!!! :rotfl: Just kidding, of course. :goodvibes Congratulations to him on his half PR. Hope today went well too!

The Rebel Spy!! that's great :D
It was! We never got it before so we're happy we finally did!

Early mornings, clean eating, and no drinking? Who did you marry?!?!!! :rotfl: Just kidding, of course. :goodvibes Congratulations to him on his half PR. Hope today went well too!

I know right? He made up fro the clean eating afterwards at Raglan Road where he ate all the meat. We had Sprinkles Cupcakes for dinner once we got home!

He PR'd his marathon as well so overall a good weekend for him! He's only really sore on his butt because he chaffed where his running shorts hit. Now he knows to put Body Glide there next year!

Enjoying The New Stuff

0FSROkO.jpg

Toy Story Land

We fought the crowds to get to the FP+ entrance of Slinky Dog Dash as standby was now at 95 minutes.

ri30azt.jpg

Slinky Dog Dash

They had the Green Army Men out playing the drums!

ktJl3WG.jpg

Green Army Men

4xRSwrH.jpg

Wheezy

UUXC4Wz.jpg

Ride

Z05FLEP.jpg

Slinky Kitty

DKSu3j4.jpg

Head

WVoDIWh.jpg

Tail

We enjoyed the ride in the tail section. It was quite fun although our photopass photo never showed up. I know that seems to be rather iffy. Afterwards, we decided to see their Christmas decorations

c95d2yI.jpg

Christmas Ornaments

RqWX0cQ.jpg
McpqxBF.jpg

Christmas Pig

It was then off to The Launch Bay to see the Solo Movie displays since we missed that during our dessert party earlier in the trip.

5IFKB2Z.jpg

Mural

5FpuVTJ.jpg

WG-22

SCFH7EL.jpg

FD3-MN

2YjMXLq.jpg

Solo

jDprn2m.jpg

Launch Bay

oWd83Iv.jpg

Currency

aIEADI9.jpg

Qi’ra Costume

5tje85g.jpg

AT-Hauler (Can they make this a lego set please?)

6sjS2ph.jpg

Birthday Stormtrooper

As we killed enough time, it was time for lunch!​

Congrats to your husband! That’s amazing!! Photopass never seems to get my Slinky Dog rides either. Either I didn’t know there was Solo stuff or I saw it before the movie. I liked the movie so may need to go back, if it’s still there. These days I need a reason to visit DHS... but know it won’t be that way for long!!

Oooh I like the TSL Christmas decorations much better than the others. And that Birthday Stormtrooper is hilarious :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!