ºoº Rental "Scooter" strength loss or power weakness requiring recharging at WDW.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
I was thinking of renting a "scooter" from a rental company while visiting Walt Disney World.

I have already heard from DISer's nanajo1 and Talking Hands that the batteries on the rental scooters that they have used, have lasted all day at various parks. And that they have just recharged them in their resort room at night.

Next time that I visit Walt Disney World, I think that I will start looking for available electrical outlets at the different WDW parks, restaurants, resorts, and other areas.

I might not need to use these electrical outlets, but maybe if it is needed then I will know where to plug the scooter in while watching a parade, or watching Illuminations, or dining, etc..

Have any of you had to recharge your scooter during the day or evening while at the park because it was losing strength or power?

It may not be needed, but maybe when I visit WDW next time, I'll compile a list of where to find different electrical outlets that might be convenient for anyone to use.

I'll mark this thread and try and post the information here.

Sincerely, Ray

ºoº Animal Kingdom

Electrical outlets:
*Tusker House-main seating area.

ºoº Epcot

Elevators:

* Monorail Station-past right of entrance ramp.
* American Pavillion-pass second entrance; right about 15 feet, Castmember will help you.
* Japan-near store entrance.

Electrical Outlets:

* Canada-Le Cellier-across from entrance.
* France-Portrait Kiosk.
* Japan-near elevators.
* Germany-Biergarten-left, inside door entrance.
* Norway-Akerhus-right of door entrance.

ºoº Magic Kingdom

Elevators:

* Magic Kingdom monorail-
* Harbor House-inside, left of counter service, through doors, castmember will help you.

Electrical Outlets:

* Under Railroad Station-near lockers.

ºoº Resort areas

Electrical Outlets:

Beach Club:
*Behind Valet Kiosk at entrance.

Epcot - Norway There is a plug in the area to the right of the door to Akerhus.
Germany - plug to the left as you enter the waiting area for the Biergarten
Japan - plug near the elevator
Entranceway to the World Showcase. Plug somewhere on the outside wall of the store on the left. Can't remember exact location

For our DD's power chair...both her own and rented ones...we have on occasion needed to charge it especially at Epcot but once at MGM too as I recall. Anyway, we have always been able to find an outlet somewhere in full service restaurants. CMs have been very helpful in helping us locate one.

RaySharpton said:
ºoº Epcot

I have recharged at the portrait kiosk in France, across from Le Cellier and several times in the American pavilion, and once in the counter restaurant next to the Kodak booth in that same area...America... There is an outlet in Japan at the restaurant, also.

RaySharpton said:
ºoº MGM

There is at least one outlet in the handicapped seating area in the top of the last row at Fantasmic (is that the name of the show where images are reflected against a huge spray of water?). The outlet is in the bottom of a power pole.

RaySharpton said:
I was thinking of renting a "scooter" from a rental company while visiting Walt Disney World.

I might not need to use these electrical outlets, but maybe if it is needed then I will know where to plug the scooter in while watching a parade, or watching Illuminations, or dining, etc..

Have any of you had to recharge your scooter during the day or evening while at the park because it was losing strength or power?

It may not be needed, but maybe when I visit WDW next time, I'll compile a list of where to find different electrical outlets that might be convenient for anyone to use.

I'll mark this thread and try and post the information here.

Sincerely, Ray

If you should have an electrical malfunction anywhere near a Disney bus stop ask a driver to alert the dispatching center to send a special bus to take you where you need to go. My scooter started having trouble on the walkway between the Beach Club Resort and MGM and, with the help of a friend, I barely made it to a bus loading area...not even sure which one now...and one driver stopped and notified dispatch that I needed assistance. About fifteen minutes later a bus showed up to take me wherever I wanted to go...I went back to the Beach Club, where I was staying...Yayyyy! Sometimes those scooters just conk out.

The batteries in the rentals are generally strong enough to go 25 miles at maximum speed with maximum allowed weight. It is extremely unusual to go more than ten miles in a day at WDW.

My ECV is a former rental. I have had times when I just left it in the car trunk overnight instead of charging it and had no problem. I have once done three park days on one charge.

I know that if there is a problem with a Walker ECV they will normally have someone there within an hour with a replacement. I really can see no point is carrying the charging unit (which pretty much fills up the basket) while in the parks.

Some of the smaller ECVs (not the rentals) have a ten mile range. most of them have either a built-in charger or one about the size of a laptop's charger, those can be carried around if you want and plugged in while at a restaurant.

videogal1 said:
There is at least one outlet in the handicapped seating area in the top of the last row at Fantasmic (is that the name of the show where images are reflected against a huge spray of water?). The outlet is in the bottom of a power pole.
Yes. That is Fantasmic.
The most convenient ones would probably be in the restaurants since you would have something to do while waiting for it to charge.
My DD's power wheelchair can go a whole week when we are at home without charging. One of the important things to know is the range of your wheelchair/ecv. Some have a large range, others are only 10 miles and will be less if the user is heigherr weight or the terrain is difficult (lots of hills, rough terrain).

Or if there is something wrong with the battery. :confused3 For our DDs Jazzy, we did have repeated problems at WDW and eventually at school. We were told that her battery type need to be used basically in the same pattern for optimum life. It still sounds goofy to me. Anyway a new battery did wonders for her chair which still gets charged nightly..well, at least I hope she is doing so as she is away at school now. :moped:

SueM in MN said:
Yes. That is Fantasmic.
..... One of the important things to know is the range of your wheelchair/ecv. Some have a large range, others are only 10 miles and will be less if the user is higher weight or the terrain is difficult (lots of hills, rough terrain).

Thank you, Sue and VideoGal1 and everyone.

When I go to WDW, I'll make a specific note of the where the electrical outlets are.

I'll also make a note of anything special outside the parks, like the elevators or ramps, etc..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!