ºoº Newbie Scooter (ECV) Rental, Travelling, Adventure Experiences at WDW (retitled )

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I rode Soaring I rode in the front row. Maybe it was allowed because my power wheelchair is no bigger than a manual wheelchair.

When I rode on Soarin in DL I was allowed to sit in the front row, I just had to leave the ECV by the last row. When I rode in WDW Soarin I did ride the 3rd row but I just assumed it was because the 1st two were full, I really didn't ask since I had done it already. Sometimes it depends on the CM. I really don't see why she wouldn't be allowed to ride the first row and just park the ECV in the back, it was really no hassle at all. :goodvibes

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank you for all the resources listed for scooter rentals. We're doing a family (16 people) trip in February, and my MIL is coming. She just cannot walk for long distances, and while it might be worthwhile to rent a scooter or w/c at each park, I just can't see her making it from the bus stop to each entrance. So, I asked her this weekend if I could look into scooter rentals for her. I think she realized that this would be a good thing and didn't even argue. The trip may be enjoyable now that we won't have to worry about "mom" keeping up with everyone!

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank you for all the resources listed for scooter rentals. We're doing a family (16 people) trip in February, and my MIL is coming. She just cannot walk for long distances, and while it might be worthwhile to rent a scooter or w/c at each park, I just can't see her making it from the bus stop to each entrance. So, I asked her this weekend if I could look into scooter rentals for her. I think she realized that this would be a good thing and didn't even argue. The trip may be enjoyable now that we won't have to worry about "mom" keeping up with everyone!

Believe me you WON'T be sorry, it will be best thing for everyone. It takes a little time for getting on the buses but it is soooooo worth it. The rentals are usually much, much better than the ones at the park. I hope you have a wonderful vacation, we did an 11 family member visit and there were 2 ECVs and we loved it!

I'm thankful that MIL can walk, so if worse comes to worse, one of us can put the ECV on the bus if she's not comfortable driving it on there. I heard back from Randy's on a rental, but they quoted me the week price. I am curious if they have a 5-6 day price since we are only going to be there 5 nights.

Thank you so much for answering in such detail. Its exactly what I needed. The prices was what attracted me to Randy's. Walker does charge on a daily basis, with Randy, I would only be charged the $175 which is more appealing to my budget. :teeth: I will be staying on WDW property at the POP but will be visiting USO for one day and didn't know whether Mears would want me to take anything off the ECV so I'd rather have someone show me how. Walker did leave detailed written instructions but since my Nephew is a mechanic we just left it up to him and I really didn't pay attention (which in retrospect I should've, knowing that I would be back :blush: ). I did find out on these boards that Mears does have a ECV accessible van but since we stayed onsite while at USO last year, we never really used the shuttle so I don't know what to expect from them. Have you used the Mears van for r/t to USO? Thanks for all your help! You've been a fountain of information. :worship: :moped:

I've used the accessible van from Disney to Universal and it is a breeze.

You can drive the scooter straight into the van from the lift ramp, and then they ask that you transfer to one of their little side seats with seatbelts. You don't have to take anything off.

It is same rate as the regular Mears bus, but you "usually" get a private ride!

To reserve the van, dial "0" from your resort phone the day before your wish to leave.

When the Disney operator answers, ask to be transferred to Mears.

Tell Mears that you want to go to Universal the next day, approximately what time, where you are staying, and stress that you need the accessible van.

They will give you a pickup time and location (out front at POP).

Be at the location 15 minutes before they state.

When the driver arrives you will pay him $15 RT in CASH (might be $16 by now, ask when you call).

When you get to Universal, you can schedule a pick up time then, or you can call the phone number on the back of your return trip voucher two hours before you are ready to go back to schedule your return time. Remind them you need the accessible van.

When it is time to return to your Disney resort, simply return to the location where you were dropped off. You will then be transported back to POP.

Hi, Mike. Well, you encouraged me to restart my journal on WISHes and add my clippie. Last time I was on Atkin's Diet, but this time I am going to try South Beach Diet. I hope that I can make it this time.

Thanks, Sue.

I saw several newbies asking about renting scooters again, so I changed my title to maybe help the newbies see my experiences and adventures.

I just found out that DHL should be delivering my scooter pretty soon.

I think that there is a Braves baseball game in my near future.

Sincerely, Ray

The Atlanta Braves folks are SUPER DUPER helpful to those in scooters and wheelchairs!! We went to a Braves game a couple of years ago and hubby brought his scooter and they bent over backwards helping us out. They made sure we could get to the will call window for our tickets. A host personally helped us through the turnstiles and directed us to our seats.

As we were leaving, many of the hosts made sure wheelchairs and ECVs got priority on the elevators.

There is a $10 charge for parking in the handicapped area, but that was about what we expected.

I am renting a scooter for the first time this March, my arthritis is not allowing me to walk all day any longer without being in real pain so I am going to give it a try.

We have opted to rent one for the whole trip and we have a question about carrying it in a rental car. DH is very worried over me driving it in long distances from the parking lot, I do not have a handicap sticker so do not qualify for those lots. He thinks it may run the battery down a lot say in the MK parking lot,just getting to the TTC.

Can anyone tell me, are there any drop off points for handicap or people with scooters at the parks and I could just wait for him to park it and meet up with me??

Thanks for your help...

We have opted to rent one for the whole trip and we have a question about carrying it in a rental car. DH is very worried over me driving it in long distances from the parking lot, I do not have a handicap sticker so do not qualify for those lots. He thinks it may run the battery down a lot say in the MK parking lot,just getting to the TTC.

Can anyone tell me, are there any drop off points for handicap or people with scooters at the parks and I could just wait for him to park it and meet up with me??

Thanks for your help...
There are drop off points at each park and also the parking lot CMs wil be able to direct you to parking areas that would be appropriate. Just let the CM know that you need to park close, have an ECV and don't have a handicapped parking permit.

If you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, I's highly recommend using the bus to get to MK. If you park at MK, you need to get from the parking area to the Ticket and Transportation Center. There, you will catch either a monorail or boat to get to MK. If you take the bus, you are taken directly to MK (pretty much the same place that the monorail or boat leaves you off).

I enjoyed reading your report... Im extremely nervous about using a scooter as I never have, Im recently diagnosed with Hashimotos and Addisons Disease which keeps me out of breath and exhausted so hubby thought a scooter would be needed and Im nervous as I have never used one before.
I found a good price on an outside rental tho..
I guess its bc Im an introvert in person so the attention I may get has me anxious. Also not knowing how to use it, especially backing up, LOL
With a scooter the buses and monorail and boats have you get on first correct? WHile everyone stares while your trying to back up?
This is for our 10th anniversary and Im worried it will take some of the"romance"out I know it sounds silly and petty but how can I hold hands with hubby on a scotter? lol
How does it work for places like Fantasmic and Rivers of Light, do you park it and walk? I believe I could make that it will just tire me greatly but Ill be able to sit down right after the walk there and back...
Im sorry if I sound petty...Im just a worrier..

I enjoyed reading your report... Im extremely nervous about using a scooter as I never have, Im recently diagnosed with Hashimotos and Addisons Disease which keeps me out of breath and exhausted so hubby thought a scooter would be needed and Im nervous as I have never used one before.
I found a good price on an outside rental tho..
I guess its bc Im an introvert in person so the attention I may get has me anxious. Also not knowing how to use it, especially backing up, LOL
With a scooter the buses and monorail and boats have you get on first correct? WHile everyone stares while your trying to back up?
This is for our 10th anniversary and Im worried it will take some of the"romance"out I know it sounds silly and petty but how can I hold hands with hubby on a scotter? lol
How does it work for places like Fantasmic and Rivers of Light, do you park it and walk? I believe I could make that it will just tire me greatly but Ill be able to sit down right after the walk there and back...
Im sorry if I sound petty...Im just a worrier..
This thread is over 10 years old so I would not trust anything in here on here

Yep...zombie threads strike again!
We have much more recent threads about ECVs. I’m going to close this and direct further discussion to a more current thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter