ºoº Disneyland's 50th Birthday - The Happiest Homecoming on Earth

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
When I think of Walt Disney and what he did with his animated features and theme parks, I think of that phrase "One Man's Dream" and how much he accomplished by going after that dream.

It's only appropriate that Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration should have Dream as the theme for this celebration.

On May 5th, Disneyland will begin its 18th month 50th Birthday Extravaganza, and those of us who are able to particpate will enjoy some of the following:

Sleeping Beauty Castle has already begun its transformation. It has been repainted with shimmery colors that really brings to life its fairy tale quality. There will be richly colored royal banners, precious jeweled stones, and gold trim, and the castle will be topped with five regal turret "crowns," representing each of the five Disneyland decades.

11450dlr50castle01.jpg

At night, the Castle will be transformed into an animated, kaleidoscopic canvas of ever-changing color and images.

11450dlr50castle02.jpg

ºoº

Disneyland will have a brand new fireworks spectacular, Remember ... Dreams Come True, which will show the power of wishes and dreams. The show will begin with Jiminy Cricket, and will use state-of-the-art pyrotechnics, projection, lighting and sound technologies throughout the park, but framing the castle. Tinker Bell, will fly from the Matterhorn, but Disney is incorporating a new technique where her flight will resemble her flight in the opening sequence of The Wonderful World of Disney television series. (Already the Matterhorn has been modified and new cables strung in anticipation of Tink's flight down from the Matterhorn and past Sleeping Beauty's Castle) Disney has already begun testing the show, and people have reported a "fight scene" between the Matterhorn and Castle, with a skull & crossbones projected on the Matterhorn, representing Pirates of the Caribbean - it sounds very exciting.

11450dlr50fiireworks01.jpg

ºoº

Disneyland has had a few great parades in its time, including Electrical Light Parade and the Lion King Celebration. The new parade, Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams looks like it will be just as impressive, and a winner from the reports so far. Of course, the parade will have Disney characters, our favorite Disney music, and spectacular floats. The parade will focus on Disney's most beloved animated films. Part parade, part show, it stops at different locations along the parade route to entertain Guests with performances featuring 50 Disney Characters, special effects, acrobatic feats, puppetry and more. It sounds like the parade is incorporating the best from its most successful parades.

11450dlr50parade.jpg

ºoº

Many guests, and cast members, too, are looking forward to the return of Space Mountain, and there are strong rumors that this popular attraction will reopen by the time Disneyland celebrates its birthday on July 17th (and maybe before that - especially with soft openings). There will be new special effects and the rockets will have a new sound system. The queue has been redesigned and there will be a high tech launch port. Rockets will 'fly' around a space station that roates around the earth (ahhh, but will we still see the giant cookie - that is a question that is floating around). When the rockets take off, guests will launch through a disorienting tunnel and have a close encounter with a large meteorite. The 'flight' has a new end with a longer re-entry tunnel filled with spectacular lighting effects.

11450dlr50spacemountain01.jpg

ºoº

Although Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters actually opened in March, let's not overlook this new fastpass attraction in Tomorrowland. Going on this is a lot of fun (I know, because I've been on it), and guests will enjoy shooting targets as they maneuver their astro blaster through the attraction. In addition, people online can play from home. Read about Buzz Lightyear here

buzz1-580.jpg

ºoº

11450blockpartybashlogo.jpg

California Adventure will also be celebrating Disney's 50th with a Pixar Celebration called Block Party Bash. This celebration will be similar to a parade, but it's more of a show along the parade route. There will be four huge floats acting as stages, and smaller floats in between. The parade will feature the characters from the Pixar films - Toy Story, Monsters Inc, a Bug's Life, etc. The Green Army Men from Toy Story will be leading the parade, and at this time, rumor has it that there will be guest participation.

11450blockpartybash02.jpg

Disneyland is advertising the Block Party Bash on big screens that you will see at the Mickey & Friends loading tram area and the esplanade between Disenyland & California Adventure, where a big cone has replaced the "A" in CALIFORNIA, the giant letters in front of California Adventure.

11450blockpartybash01-med.JPG

ºoº

Thank you so much Mary Jo for all your information. It makes the anticipation of trips so exciting and gives lots of information so that we're prepared before walking through the gates!

Any idea if the Incredibles will join the block party? Or if they've been found walking any of the "streets"???

Good Question. :) I don't know the answer yet...

I'm getting excited about being there on May 5th. I plan on taking lots of pics. :)

yes the Incredibles are at DCA, and supposed to be in the block party bash. My daughter was litteraly run over by Freeze a couple months ago. She was walking, and Freeze turned around and started running, he ran straight into her and knocked her down. So they are definately there.

I sooo can't wait! I saw the videos from the cast blast and the parade floats look so spectacular and the music from the fireworks(compounded by the videos from the testing)have me SO EXCITED!!!

My boys are way excited for the Block Party :banana:

Thanks again for all the info Mary Jo! It's hard to stop thinking about our trip next month when you keep getting me excited but I must get SOME work done between now and then! ;)

Mary Jo said:
In addition, people online can play from home.

This is the first I have heard of it. Is the game available online yet? I have enjoyed playing Mission: Space online every since it came out.

I assume they are still doing the Electric Light Parade in California Adventure at night?

If so, I am wondering if there is still the special meal seating? I saw it quite some time ago, and guests could purchase reserved seating that came with a meal - is that still offered?

Thanks for any information!!

dsnylndmom said:
I sooo can't wait! I saw the videos from the cast blast and the parade floats look so spectacular and the music from the fireworks(compounded by the videos from the testing)have me SO EXCITED!!!

My boys are way excited for the Block Party :banana:

Videos? VIDEOS?????? Did somebody say videos? Where can I find the videos? :earseek:

Thanks
---Paul in Southern NJ

I can sum up your report here with three words:

:Pinkbounc I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Okay, I just had to get that out of my system.

When is the offical celebration day? 17 of july? I will be in california July 13-19. Which day you think would be best to go and expearience the 50th? I would like to go 17 but dont know if I can. Anything really special but it being super crowded on the 17?

Matt

Mom2Joce said:
Any idea if the Incredibles will join the block party? Or if they've been found walking any of the "streets"???

The Incredibles are in Block Party Bash. They show up towards the end of the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!