ºoº Attractions Unique to Disneyland & California Adventure from WDW

As an Orlando native, and a once-a-year to Disneyland (a two-week summer trip with the family so a little work gets done in the office on Harbor Blvd.), I have to say that you guys seem a little determined to dump on WDW just because you can't go there that much. Yeah, our Space Mountain sucks, especially compared to the DL one, but we have Rock n Roller Coaster at The Studios. And yeah, the DL Pirates isn't quite as well-done as the WDW one, but our Splash Mountain is much better than yours. And while you may have the Matterhorn, we have Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. Sure, we don't have an Indiana Jones RIDE, but we have a fabulous Indy stunt show and the comparable dark ride 'DINOSAUR'. And your sister park, California Adventure, can't really stand up to MK's sisters Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

Don't ruin it for the people at WDW--the FL park has many great things to be proud of as does the California park:thumbsup2

Isn't the point of this thread to highlight the differences in the parks for those that don't have any clue? :confused3

Yes, this thread is not for people who are looking for WDW information. It is for the WDW vet who is wondering what other attractions are at DLR. Nobody on the DLR DISboards is out to discredit WDW. If I may say so, from reading bothe DLR and WDW boards, it's the exact opposite.

Oh, and P.S. Dinosaur comparable to Indy is like saying a Big Mac is comparable to a nice juicy steak. One leaves a bad taste in your mouth, while the other is satisfying.

Yes, this thread is not for people who are looking for WDW information. It is for the WDW vet who is wondering what other attractions are at DLR. Nobody on the DLR DISboards is out to discredit WDW. If I may say so, from reading bothe DLR and WDW boards, it's the exact opposite.

Oh, and P.S. Dinosaur comparable to Indy is like saying a Big Mac is comparable to a nice juicy steak. One leaves a bad taste in your mouth, while the other is satisfying.

Wow, I love Dinosaur!!!

I can see where the OP is coming from about this being a pro DL thread - but hey, you're in the DL part of the disboards.

By reading this thread, it seems that there is a lot to do at DL and I just scratched the surface when I went there 2 years ago!

It makes a lot of sense that DL would have more rides than MK. After all, WDW has 4 parks to spread out in and in California they need to do it all between 2 parks right?

Don't ruin it for the people at WDW--the FL park has many great things to be proud of as does the California park:thumbsup2

hehe, I don't think we could "ruin" it for WDW people. ;)

I have been to both parks, since I live on the west coast and have family in FL. As of right now, I prefer DL because of the convenience of only 2 parks and the nostalgia. And I dislike FL weather. But that doesn't mean I'd turn down a WDW trip! Woohoo! There is a lot of fun to be had. :hyper:

Love both DL and WDW. Hoping to get to DL this April...DH may be going to So Cal for Business. Probably not getting to WDW this year with lousy economy...not been in 2 years!:confused3

Is the PBJ Pizza at Goofy's Kitchen at DL available anywhere at WDW?
SOOO yummy.

I have a question, our family was in Disneyland back in 2004 and I can remember them having a Snow White theatre type show. We have been to WDW the last couple of years and did not see it there, my question is if they still have that Snow White show around still?

I have a question, our family was in Disneyland back in 2004 and I can remember them having a Snow White theatre type show. We have been to WDW the last couple of years and did not see it there, my question is if they still have that Snow White show around still?

Unfortunately the Snow White show was replaced a couple years back with Princess Fantasy Faire. Now it is a walk through meet-n-greet area with many of the princesses. They also used to do a stage show with princesses, but I thought I heard something about it being cancelled recently.

DL has the Aladdin Musical Spectacular! I would just go there to see that; the genie is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an Orlando native, and a once-a-year to Disneyland (a two-week summer trip with the family so a little work gets done in the office on Harbor Blvd.), I have to say that you guys seem a little determined to dump on WDW just because you can't go there that much. Yeah, our Space Mountain sucks, especially compared to the DL one, but we have Rock n Roller Coaster at The Studios. And yeah, the DL Pirates isn't quite as well-done as the WDW one, but our Splash Mountain is much better than yours. And while you may have the Matterhorn, we have Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. Sure, we don't have an Indiana Jones RIDE, but we have a fabulous Indy stunt show and the comparable dark ride 'DINOSAUR'. And your sister park, California Adventure, can't really stand up to MK's sisters Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

Hey, don't think we're all out to get WDW. It's the other way around. Sure, we may have our little moments of DL pride, but seriously, ask anyone who's been to WDW here on the DLR board, and we will all say that WDW is truly just a magical place as well. We all love both places. At the end of the day, we forget about the differences. Went I went to WDW, it was so depressing having to leave.

I went to WDW for the second time for my honeymoon in 2007. I drug my poor DH all over Fantasyland looking for the Storybook Land Canal Boats. But could not find it. It was only later that I realized that it at DL and not at WDW :rotfl: . I thought it would be very romantic to through the canal and all being that it was our honeymoon. It would be like but not really, riding the gondalas in Italy. It was just too funny. :lmao: Yes, I do have a very vivid imagination.

But I enjoy both WDW and DL. I am just glad that I live close enough to one of them so that I can go as often as I wish.

We just got back from DW and we so missed Disneyland! I guess you don't appriciate what you have until you try something new. The CM's are so much friendlier and the park is so much cleaner in CA. You don't have to deal with transportation and everything is sooo close. And the History just isn't there. I should have saved $4000 and just done Disneyland :sad2:

We just got back from DW and we so missed Disneyland! I guess you don't appriciate what you have until you try something new. The CM's are so much friendlier and the park is so much cleaner in CA. You don't have to deal with transportation and everything is sooo close. And the History just isn't there. I should have saved $4000 and just done Disneyland

We went to WDW in 2006..and..while I thought is was wonderful..it didn't have the same feel for me as DL..I had to go back to DL just to feel like I had been there..lol

I went to WDW for the second time for my honeymoon in 2007. I drug my poor DH all over Fantasyland looking for the Storybook Land Canal Boats. But could not find it. It was only later that I realized that it at DL and not at WDW :rotfl: . I thought it would be very romantic to through the canal and all being that it was our honeymoon. It would be like but not really, riding the gondalas in Italy. It was just too funny. :lmao: Yes, I do have a very vivid imagination.

But I enjoy both WDW and DL. I am just glad that I live close enough to one of them so that I can go as often as I wish.

Here is a picture of Gondalas and Disney. Taken in Tokyo's Disneysea.

DSCN3058.jpg

Very Romantic. To see more picyures of Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, here is the link.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1765752

Very Different and all very good.

Can anyone summarize Cars Land for a newbie?
CarsLand is a full scale replication of Radiator Springs. It has three new rides:

Radiator Springs Racers
Luigi's Flying Tires
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

It has two new dining options and several new shopping venues.

:wizard:

HydroGuy said:
CarsLand is a full scale replication of Radiator Springs. It has three new rides:

Radiator Springs Racers
Luigi's Flying Tires
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

It has two new dining options and several new shopping venues.

:wizard:

... and a million little details to wander around and take in for hours, everything from Hidden mocked to tributes to things right out of the movie, along with character meet 'n' greets and entertainment offerings.

- Dreams

ºoº

Attractions not at WDW, or that are different: The latest comments seem to be well over a year old, so let this experienced WDW traveler take a crack at some of the same attractions you first previewed years ago (sadly, we couldn't get to them all). I last visited DL 25 years ago, and my wife had never been. I had fond memories of the place, and I wasn't disappointed. I've highlighted my comments below in red.

DISNEYLAND

Main Street:
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln: Walt Disney personally worked on this attraction, and he had a special interest in President Abe Lincoln. The Hall of Presidents is based on it, but this is still worth watching. It was recently refurbished, and uses a new technique with headphones that make the sounds seem like they are right next to you. This attraction is the first one you’ll see (besides the railroad) when you enter Main Street. (NOTE: For the 50th, this attraction has been put away, but it is due to reopen later this year.) Weren't able to fit it into our plans.

Railroad: Although there is a railroad at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World, the one at Disneyland is different. It circles the park, and you can see the various lands. It also stops at New Orleans Square, Toontown/Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. After Tomorrowland, you’ll go through a diorama that shows the Grand Canyon and the Primeval World. It takes about 20 minutes to circle the park. It’s also a nice way to get from one land to another. Loved the railroad. It's more of an actual ride unto itself than its counterpart at WDW.

ºoº

Adventureland:
Tiki Room: Has the original show I'm not a huge fan at either park, but my wife liked it just as much as the version in WDW. Funniest thing about the attraction was the line for Dole Whips that was way bigger than the line to get into Tiki Room. ;)

The Jungle Cruise: This is set up differently – kind of backwards from the one at WDW, and doesn’t have a temple. The queue is different, is 2-stories on busy days, & has an animatronic hornbill going up the stairs A solid ride, but seemingly a bit shorter at DL.

Tarzan’s Treehouse: Used to be Swiss Family Robinson – worth a visit because it has some interactive features Offers great views of the park so becomes a superb place to take pictures.

Indiana Jones: The ride is almost identical to Dinosaur @ Animal Kingdom; however, due to theme difference, this ride is far superior with fire, etc. This is the best themed queue at Disneyland, with interactive elements that will cause a reaction – push the poles and pull the ropes – even if there is a sign telling you not to. Closed for refurb. :worried:

ºoº

New Orleans Square:
There is no New Orleans Square in WDW, so this land is really nice to visit (On the other hand, there is no Liberty Tree Square at DL) Enjoyed some Mickey beignets under a canopy. Only issue was the lackluster directions given by two CMs to find the takeout window for the beignets. "Just around the corner" didn't clarify which corner (lots of construction walls there with no signage). Finally, we asked a third CM who helpfully said, "Keep going around to the right past a set of bathrooms and you'll see the Mint Julep Bar. There."

Pirates of the Caribbean: For one thing, this is set in a New Orleans setting instead of Adventureland, like @ WDW. The queue is better at WDW, but the ride itself is themed so much better at DL Agree that the DL version is superior except for the queue. More details, the sound track is clearer.

Haunted Mansion: This is also different at DL, although personally, I can’t say I like one better than the other – they are just “different” and it is worth riding. We found this slightly weaker than the one in WDW, and that likely has to do with a better queue. Plus, the ride seemed darker. Still, they're are quite similar.

ºoº

Critter Country: This whole land is unique to Disneyland

Splash Mountain – This attraction is pretty different than the one @ WDW, and the seats are different in the log. You sit in single file, and each seat has a backrest. I don’t know if one is “better” than the other – The one at WDW seems to follow the storyline better, but the one at DL is also fun to ride. Didn't ride it. We like SM but aren't huge aficianados of the one in WDW due to the "stink." I've heard DL's does not have that aspect, but we just didn't work it into our plans.

Davy Crockett Canoes -They don’t have canoes @ WDW. These are fun to do – everyone has to paddle, but watch out – the person in front of you just might accidentally splash you as you go around Tom Sawyer’s Island. Closed during our stay.

The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh This is different than the one at the WDW Magic Kingdom. (From what I hear, the one at WDW is better than this one because the one at DL doesn't "bounce") Didn't ride, and the one in WDW has a relatively new, interactive queue.

ºoº

Frontierland:
Pirates Lair (formerly Tom Sawyers Island) This island has been rethemed as an island once overrun by pirates. There are still caves here, though they now have hidden treasure in the cave (reach for the treasure & see a surprise), and you can pump water out of a boat to see treasure, or lift the basket out of the water to see a surprise. The floating and suspended bridges are still here. There are also pirates who sing here at the island. I believe at WDW the theme is still Tom Sawyer, and I heard that there is a snack bar on the island at WDW, but not at DLR. Didn't go there.

Thunder Mountain Railroad is basically the same, but the track runs in the opposite direction (from what I’ve been told). We liked the DL version better, though they are very close in content. We enjoyed the queue better and found the ride every bit as enjoyable. The detail outside the ride is slightly better at WDW, but overall, the fun factor tips to DL on this ride.

ºoº

Fantasyland: Almost all of the attractions are different here, as well as the architecture of the whole land.

Sleeping Beauty’s Castle: Okay, let’s start with the castle. You will notice as soon as you enter Disneyland that the castle is more “charming” than “awe-inspiring” like the one at WDW Magic Kingdom – Cinderella’s Castle. This castle has a walk-thru diorama of the story of Sleeping Beauty, which was recently reopened. The scenes are nicely done. When you go through the hall with the goons peer through the windows in the doors - you may see a surprise. There are a couple of shops in the castle, and a very nice Snow Whites grotto to the right of the entrance. There is no restaurant in this castle, and no place to enter it. However you do walk through it and the drawbridge is a real working drawbridge – raised & lowered two times in Disneyland history – on opening day in 1955, and after the Fantasyland refurbishment in the early 80’s (I’m thinking 1982) Charming is one word to use, and certainly one can't beat the history and nostalgia of SB's Castle, but it isn't truly the focal point of the park the way Cindy's Castle is. When it comes time for the requesite castle pictures, Cindy wins hands down.

Peter Pan: A dark ride that is different than the one at WDW, and charming. Guests “fly” in pirate ships through this attraction. (this is a favorite of many guests, including me – the line is almost always too long here, so it's best to visit first thing in the morning Didn't ride.

Snow White’s Scary Adventures: Another dark ride – be sure to touch the brass apple as you enter the attraction, and when you’re standing in Fantasyland, look at the curtained window for a peek at someone staring out … Loved it and all the "dark" rides DL has that WDW doesn't.

King Arthur’s Carousel: This has all horses, each completely different - when you see it, look for Jingles, the lead horse. You can tell who Jingles is by the bells hanging ‘round the neck. Also, Jingles was recently dedicated to Julie Andrews, and if you look at the saddle blanket you will see four figures painted on it to commemorate this dedication. Didn't ride.

It’s a Small World This is the original attraction, brought to Disneyland after the 1964 World’s Fair, where it debuted. WDW now has a similar façade; however, this one is a bit grander. Try to time it so that you’re in front of the attraction at a quarter of hour ( :00, :15, :30, :45) for a little clock show. The ride lasts about 15 minutes. Disney characters were recently added, and it is fun to try & pick them out. I'm one of those in the minority who actually doesn't like IASM, but given that, the one in DL is better due to the Disney characters (though to be fair, some of them look terrible, as if a 5-year old sculpted them--I'm talking about you Woody!), the architecture, and the outdoor loading.

ºoº

These are unique to Disneyland:

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride: No longer have it at WDW. See Snow White comment.

Pinocchio: All dark rides seem to have a villain, and the one here is Monstruo the whale. All ends well in Gepetto’s little shop Ditto.

Alice in Wonderland: A dark ride like Peter Pan, with a nice ending as the caterpillar you are riding travels down the leaves when you exit the ride Down for refurb.

Matterhorn Bobsleds: First steel coaster built – it’s just a tad rocky. You sit two to a seat in tandem style, and four to a bobsled. There are two sides – the Fantasyland side is a little smoother and slightly longer (by a few seconds), and the Tomorrowland side is faster with a little dip. This is one of my favorites to ride at night There is no counterpart in WDW unless you cheat and include EE (which is a great ride). Jerky, not very fast, and not scary in the least, but it's quintessential Disney for me. And the Abominable Snowmen actually work! (Are you listening, EE?)

Storybook Land Canal Boats: You ride in a boat outside and go through Monstro the whale’s mouth to tour miniature villages of Disney characters (very charming attraction and popular – lines can get quite long) My emotional Achilles' heel. I loved doing this ride back in the day, and it didn't disappoint. . .except the night version. I seem to remember the lights being brighter and more colorful for the night passage, but perhaps that's just an old brain being forgetful. Outside of a couple of dioramas (Aladdin's, Ariel's), it was hard to see anything. Also, one of the lamps on the little island was broken, likely mashed by a giant duck. ;)

Casey Jr Circus Train: Ride in cars or cages on a track outside. As you go up the hill, try & see if you can hear Casey Jr. say “I think I can.” The little train wields its way around the same area that the Storybook Land Canal Boats go on – this is a fun ride. The following is no longer true, but still interesting, I think ~ Here’s something only a few know…During the fireworks show, Tinkerbell flies from the Matterhorn Mountain past the castle. When you are on Casey Jr, you can follow the cable with your eyes, and see the treehouse where she actually lands. It’s hidden in the trees in Frontierland. Didn't ride.

ºoº

Toontown: This whole land is nicely set up, and is styled differently than the one at WDW. It gets crowded during the day, and closes in preparation for the fireworks, so time it right when you visit. Early morning or late at night are best. Didn't visit.

Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin: This is a dark ride like Mr. Toad, except you get to spin your car round and round.

Gadget Go-Coaster: This is very similar to Goofy’s Barnstormer

There are other things to do for small children -Donalds Big Boat to explore, as well as Mickey & Minnies houses.

ºoº

Tomorrowland
Space Mountain: I like the one @ DL much better – you sit side by side in the cars, and if you’re lucky, you’ll get a car that has the music – makes the ride very exciting. During Halloweentime this is transformed to Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, so you are racing around space as ghostly aliens are projected throughout. Agree the one at DL is better: smoother, actually plays music, and makes you giggle. The queue isn't as good, but that's a small criticism.

Autopia: This whole ride was redone in 2000, and the track is fun to drive – you even get to go “off-roading” – I definitely recommend this one, too. Even the adults should enjoy it. Also better than at WDW. Landscaping and views are nicer.

Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters: It might be shorter than at WDW, but the cool thing here is that you can lift your blasters for a better aim, and then email your picture home or to a friend. This attraction will also be interactive on the Internet in the beginning of June. Have to disagree. The one at WDW is longer, has more targets, and has a continual fire trigger. We did like the blaster being easier to hold, however.

Finding Nemo Submarine Ride: Since the submarines were removed from WDW, this is definitely unique to DL. For guests who are disabled and cannot get into the submarines, there is a room where you can view the same thing as the submarines - it is the next best thing to being on the ride itself Closed for refurb.

(Star Tours is exactly like the one at MGM Studios, and so is Honey I Shrank the Audience. I think I’ve heard that the queues are better at WDW, though the Star Wars queue at DL is good once you are inside) Have to say that ST is better at WDW--picture quality is sharper, 3D effect more noticeable (we actually sat right in the middle, too). Queue is better, as well.

***** ºoº *****

DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE

Golden State
Soarin’ Over California: I used to say, “There is no other attraction like this one.” But, they have since added it at WDW. You ride in a simulated hand glider over scenes of California landscape while listening to music – very nice. You can also catch whiffs of the orange groves, pine forests, and the sea. If you need motion sickness medicine, then take it for this attraction because you won’t want to miss it Call this one even. Same ride, same smells, same thrills. At one point, you fly through the clouds and fog over the Golden Gate bridge--I don't recall ever seeing that Soarin' in WDW, but the queue their is better and interactive in places.

Grizzly River Run – Similar to Kali River Rapids, but better, from what I have heard. This attraction takes place in the prominent Grizzly Bear Mountain, and you go up the mountain to ride the river down. It ends with a steep drop while your tire spins so you do not know who’s going to get soaked when you hit bottom Closed for refurb.

Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Similar, yet different, to the areas where children can run around, go down slides, climb ladders, etc. There is also a storytelling amphitheater here, where you can listen to stories about Brother Bear No go

Tortilla Factory & Boudin Bakery tours: These tours demonstrate how Mission tortillas are made – and you get a sample, and how sourdough bread, which originated in San Francisco, is made – and you get a sample … the bread bowls used for soups and salads at Disneyland Resort are made at this bakery. You can also purchase fresh bread from this area. No go

ºoº

Paradise Pier
California Screamin’: This loop rollercoaster is very different from Rockin’ Rollercoaster. It’s smoother, longer, and has only one loop, plus it is outside. My wife likes this better than RnRC; I like RnRC better. In both cases, however, it's a small margin. Loved the outdoor feel to CS, but the gut punch of the RnRC blast-off is slightly better. There is nothing fun about the queue for CS, either, and RnRC wins the music "contest" easily.

ºoº

A Bug’s Land Didn't visit.
Various kiddie rides for the 3-6 year old group, themed from It’s a Bug’s Life characters. The Chew Chew Train is pretty popular, and it is cute, with fun smells – watermelon, etc.

It's Tough to Be a Bug is identical to the one at Animal Kingdom, however, there is no awesome Tree of Life here. You may notice, however, that the queue winds around an area that is quite similar to the little isle that the ants live on in the movie.

ºoº

Hollywood Pictures Backlot Only did ToT. . .see below.
Animation Station: Different than the one at WDW, and includes an interactive area that is fun to visit. There are five sections, 1) The Courtyard, which is beautifully done. The walls have static and moving scenes that change from one Disney animated feature to another, 2) Drawn to Animation, where the animator interacts with the audience and teaches everyone how to draw a character, 3) Turtle Talk with Crush is pretty much like the attraction at WDW, 4) Small Gallery that showcases the zoetrope - pretty cool demonstration of animation in 3D, and 5) the Sorcerer’s Workshop, which has activities and interactive exhibits in three sections. In the first room, draw your own cartoon character and make it move, then in Beast’s Library see which Disney character you are most like, and finally, in Ursula’s Grotto lend your voice to song or dialogue for different Disney scenes.

Hyperion Theater – Aladdin the Musical – This is a live show in a beautifully done theater with orchestra, mezzanine, and balcony seating. The show itself is very entertaining, lasts about 20 minutes, and really is a must-see.

Tower of Terror - The WDW version is more extensive in that you go across the building in the Twilight Zone. They couldn’t build the same thing at California Adventure, so you immediately enter the Twilight Zone as soon as the elevator doors close. There are some different special effects that give this ride a different experience than the one at Walt Disney World. Another close call, but I have to give the nod to ToT in Hollywood Studios due to the more extensive ride and the slightly better theming in the queue areas.

Monsters Inc - This is a dark ride, along the lines of the Fantasyland dark rides, and fun to go on. The line is usually very short

The rest of the attractions are identical, or extremely similar to the attractions at Walt Disney World.
To me, there is no better or best when it comes to the two resorts, WDW and DL. Both have exceptional rides that bring out the kid in us all, and to ever decide not to do either would be a real shame. Though WDW will continue to be our go-to Disney location (we're only a 10-hour drive away), we will always have the fondest memories of our special time at DL, and we hope to get back in a couple of years. :thumbsup2

Thank you, everyone, for all of this great info. We're long-time WDW visitors making our first trip to Disneyland in two weeks. This is super helpful in prioritizing our mere two days at DL/DCA -- though we're hoping to do everything we can, whether we've done it a zillion times in Orlando or not. Can't wait!!!

July 2014: First trip to Disneyland!
December 2012: Animal Kingdom Lodge
October 2009: Beach Club
June 2009: Saratoga Springs[/COLOR]
2007: Old Key West
2005: Wilderness Lodge Villas
2002, 2003: Off property
1998: Fort Wilderness
1993: off property
Countless visits as a Florida resident pre-1990

Thank you, everyone, for all of this great info. We're long-time WDW visitors making our first trip to Disneyland in two weeks. This is super helpful in prioritizing our mere two days at DL/DCA -- though we're hoping to do everything we can, whether we've done it a zillion times in Orlando or not. Can't wait!!!
You'll have a blast! Just be ready to zip straight to Cars Land at rope drop if you don't want to wait a lo-o-o-ng time. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter