ºoº Are you going to see the new movie "Polar Express"? ºoº

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
:wave: Hi, everyone. I just saw the previews of the new movie coming out for for the Christmas holidays on November 10th called the "Polar Express".

I am such a big baby when it comes to christmas stories like this.

I predict this will be a classic movie that must be seen every year, and a number one movie this year with full theaters everyday.

I know that it is a animated movie, but the pictures and music and songs look and sound so great.

Of course, anyone who loves everything Disney has to be a child at heart. So maybe that's why I think that I will love this movie, too.

I really can't discribe in works what the movie and book are like, so here are some quotes from reviews:

Chris Van Allsburg,
The Polar Express
(Houghton Mifflin, 1986)

It is far too easy to express jaded cynicism about Christmas. Likewise, it is far too easy to sanctimoniously put down the Christmas season as a commerical free for all. And it is far too easy to dismiss a seasonal gem such as Chris Van Allsburg's The Polar Express as simplistic and sentimental. But Van Allsburg's tale is one of belief, of retaining that which is childlike, not childish, and that just doesn't get old.

The narrator, a boy, lies awake listening for the sound of the bells on Santa's sleigh, a sound a friend who doesn't believe in Santa Claus says that he won't hear. Indeed, he does not, but what he does hear is even more wonderful and remarkable.

He hears the hiss of steam and the squeak of metal, and when he looks out the window, he sees a train outside his house. It is the Polar Express, destination: North Pole.

Once aboard, he finds that it is full of children, all in their nightclothes. They sing Christmas carols, drink rich cocoa and eat candies as the train races northward.
Finally, they arrive at the North Pole, and the narrator is selected to receive the first gift of Christmas. He asks for, and receives from Santa Claus himself, a silver bell from the sleigh.

Although the boy loses the bell on the way home, kindly Mr. C. returns it to him, and the boy discovers that the bell has a remarkable quality -- only those who still believe in the wonder that is Santa and the spirit of Christmas can hear the bell. His friends and his sister eventually cannot hear the bell, but even when he grows up "the bell still rings for [him] as it does for all who truly believe."

The story is accompanied by stunning paintings that capture the nighttime journey. Van Allsburg employs somber tones in most of his scenes, speckled with snow and highlighted with starlight and the glowing lights of the train. He captures the cold and mystery of the night, contrasting it with the warm interior scenes. The masterful artwork garnered Van Allsburg the 1987 Caldecott Medal, but I think the book would have earned its place as a holiday classic even without this award.

Share this with your favorite child of any age, and at the end, ask yourself this question: would the silver bell ring for you?

I am definitely going to take friends to see this movie called "Polar Express".

We will go see it when my mom and dad are visitin for Thanksgiving. It will be my Daughter's first movie in the theatre, she'll be almost 3. We have it all planned out. We're going to have lunch, see the movie and then go shopping. A girl's day out. My husband, my Dad and DS (8months) will stay home.

I was planning on it but I heard it's only coming out at selected IMAX theaters - we don't have one anywhere around that I know of. :confused:

This is sure to become a classic. On Oprah today they had a short video of how they made the movie...facsinating stuff and Tom hanks had to act out ALL of his characters, not just voice over a cartoon.
Besides...Josh Groban sings Believe ;)

It's on my list to see. Okay, so actually it's the only movie on my list. But I do plan to see it.

You betcha!! We cant wait. It looks like one of the best new movies out there :)

I've been dying to see this since I first heard they were making it. Not only is Tom Hanks one of my favorite actors, I love Christmas movies (It's A Wonderful Life is my favorite movie). Plus, my younger son (now 13) adored the book Polar Express when he was younger. I remember reading it to him over and over. Those are great memories...and luckily I really loved the book too! The two of us are going to go see the movie together as soon as it comes out. We can't wait! We'll probably go to see it a second time with older DS and DH, but that first viewing will be just the two of us!

Yes, I caught Oprah today about it as well. Fascinating how they made the movie - not your typical animated film.

We caught a preview for it over the summer, and I knew I'd have to exp it in the theater (and there are few of those kind of movies IMO). I LOVE LOVE LOVE the book, and I so excited!!!!!

Besides, Tom Hanks is a genius =)

We are taking our whole elementary school to see this in December. Pk-2nd. They are so excited!

I don't know much about the movie, except that Tom Hanks is in it. He's pretty reliable, so I'm sure it'll be great. But, frankly, those commercials creep me out. It's all a little too alien looking for me!

I haven't seen the commercials but I think the book is gorgeous.

I want to see this one. We plan to see a movie on Christmas day while we're in Disney. If this is playing it would be a great option. Many movies are slated to open on Christmas day so we'll decide for sure as the news of what's coming starts advertising.

Originally posted by Jimbo
I don't know much about the movie, except that Tom Hanks is in it. He's pretty reliable, so I'm sure it'll be great. But, frankly, those commercials creep me out. It's all a little too alien looking for me!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the characters look odd. I love this book and it is a classic. I just hope the movie does it justice.

I don`t think i will be able to go to this as i`d probably cry & show up my whole family again... They are very selective who they choose to take them to the cinema ...This one will probably be Dad going, & i will have to resort to dvd next year....Although would i get stared at if i go on my own??? it sounds like a lovely film, in fact i could even go with my Mum....:wave: :wave: :wave:

Love the book! I'm hoping to see the movie!
:sunny:

Our family loves books by Chris Van Allsburg. When my son was little he had this thing for trains and this book brings back a lot of great memories.

at WDW. Might see it there, don't know yet.:o It does sound like a good one.::yes::

My kids love the book and we've been patiently waiting to see it since we saw the trailor for it back in June when we went to see Harry Potter. It looked like it was going to be great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!