“What is the best advice you can give to others who are about to go to WDW?

Know what you're getting into. For example, if you schedule an Easter week trip with the DDP and think you can sleep until 11, walk onto attractions and walk into LeCellier for dinner without an ADR*, you're going to be very disappointed. Basic knowledge about crowds, EMH, FP and the parks will go a long way.

*--This was something a co-worker was "planning" to do until she shared with me that she was going to WDW. I was able to give her some last-minute planning that helped them avoid a lot of pain.

Some of our best Disney vacation moments were absolutely unplanned and happened by mistake. We ended up in Fantasyland for Wishes. And while we did swivel a few times in our seats, getting out of the Magic Kingdom was much less stressful than if we were in the thick of it. Also, instead of sitting for an hour and half on Main Street we let the kids play in 100 Acre Wood and rode Cinderella's Carousel and Dumbo a few times. Great night.

We also were just walking around MK one day before we left (mainly because DH didn't want to stand in anymore lines) and decided to sit down and get some ice cream. The Dapper Dans came out and started a set right then. For about 10-15 minutes we sat in the shade with great entertainment with our kids and some ice cream. Perfect moment, and now when I look back on our vacation that memory comes back to me immediately.

My point, while planning is great, and I have the spreadsheets to prove it. Sometimes the best moments in our vacations happen because things don't go according to plan. Relax, take it all in, and have fun. If you don't get there at rope drop, or hit Dumbo at the perfect time, or miss your spot for Illuminations, you will still have a great vacation. Go with the flow. Because the harder you fight the worse off you will be.

The perfect family vacation at Disney World, is less perfect and more family. The more time you spend focused on them and the less time on making it all go off without a hitch the more fun you will have.

I also second Cheshire Figment. Don't try to see it all in one week. Make a list of Need to See, Want to See, Can Live Without. Prioritize. There are certain favorites that we have to go on each time. Then there are others that can wait until my kids are older, etc. Even if your kids play in the water jets for an hour they are still having a great time in Disney World. True, you aren't seeing all that you probably would like to. But, you are having a fun, and doing more here than you would at home.

For the first timer I would say... Take a day and relax! Sometimes trying to fit everything in came be stressful. We always plan one day where we just relax by the pool:cool2: , enjoy a leasurely lunch:banana: , sip a frozen beverage:drinking1 and just soak up the sun!:cool1:

An alternative is to not miss the water parks. Pick the hottest day and enjoy being a kid again, splashing around or just floating along with no cares. Believe me it really helps the body and soul...:thumbsup2

Just got back from 8 day trip on 5/16, stayed as CSR with party of 6. This was my 4th trip, family's 3rd trip.

I wish I would have taken every 3rd day off to enjoy at the resort or waterparks. Having only one day off from the themeparks, I was exhausted.

May is the perfect time of year to travel - weather was sunny and 90s all week, love bugs minimal, and wait times on the fast pass attractions were mostly 30 minutes. Downside of May trips - park operating hours are reduced.

Do the DDP - even with the 2008 changes its a good deal!

Make ADRs. Never had to worry about it before but in the last few years with the free dining and dining plan you need to. If there is someplace you REALLY want to eat, in most cases you'll need an ADR especially during "free" dining. Not to say people don't get lucky when they're visiting WDW because they do but it's not the norm.

Make those ADRs.

Bill is correct. Buy it if you see it and think you may want it. I ahve missed out of several items becuase I figured I wold get it later in my trip, only to never see it again.

Take two pairs of comfortable, well broken-in shoes per person.

And if you don't walk at least two miles on a daily basis, begin a walking program at least three months prior to your WDW visit!

I have a sedentary job and exercise a lot, but I have to begin training for WDW at least three months prior to each visit! :rotfl2:

A few months before your trip, start getting on a treadmill at least a few times a week. I honestly don't know how I could have made it without semi-preparing myself for all the walking! I'm going to go ahead and start now for our trip next May :laughing:

Edit: Didn't realize the person above me said the same thing! lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter