“What is the best advice you can give to others who are about to go to WDW?

WDW Newsletter

Mouseketeer
This question was emailed to me and I thought I would blog about it. First off this is a difficult question to answer because everyone has their own ideas about what is important to their family. In my book, Walt Disney World Peak Seasons: Maximizing your Disney Vacation, I talk about this.

My most important piece of advice…..is to stay on property! This is so tough because the obvious answer is to plan. Without proper planning your trip may not be set up for success. I will assume you have already done that part.

Why would I say stay on property is the most important piece of advice? If you are a first timer to Walt Disney World you want to be immersed in the Disney “magic”. It surrounds you 24/7 no matter which resort on property you stay at. If you have younger children you want them to experience this magic and on property resorts offer this.

Next if you stay on property you get many perks, such as Extra Magic Hours, which offer you the opportunity to enter a certain park an hour earlier than non-resort guests, and stay an extra three hours after closing. This alone is worth it to many. Disney also offers guests free transportation throughout its property by buses, boats and monorails. The buses will pick you up in front of your resort and take you very close to the front entrance of each park. There is no need to drive your car in you don’t want to, Disney takes care of everything. This perk is great for those who have families with kids in the teens as well as younger ones. The teens can stay at the parks while the younger ones can go back to the resort with a parent for a nap, or swim. Then everyone can meet up later in the day.

If you stay off-property you are less likely to leave the park and then return later. The hassle of fighting the traffic, the inconvenience of parking, and the fact that if you take one car and someone wants to leave, the family usually all leaves with them, makes it probable that you will not return later in the day.

With all that being said it truly depends on what you can afford and what type of experience you want. If you are a family that has been to Walt Disney World numerous times, you may not need or want to experience the magic 24/7. There are also larger families that vacation at Disney and they can find vacation homes much cheaper than anything comparable in size that Disney offers.

For many, if you have chosen to spend your hard earned dollars for a family vacation at Walt Disney World, you most likely are willing to be immersed 24/7 into the magic. But the best part about any trip to Orlando is that there are plenty of options available to meet the needs of every family. Our vote is to stay on property and experience all that Disney has to offer. This would be our most important piece of advice. Now for the second most important piece of advice……that will be for another time.

I agree that staying on site is a must if possible. My advice is to watch for moments of magic. They occur at all times of day and night. For me, crossing Seven Seas Lagoon at night is one such moment. Ice cream under a shade tree in France is another. You'll know it when you are in one, so enjoy it.

Stay on property.
Use Fastpass.
Get up for rope drop and rest in the afternoon.
Do not miss nighttime fireworks.
Have fun!

I've told friends that were 1st timers to be informed about prices, and to make peace with it.

I have seen so many people come back from WDW and say they had a lousy time. When pressed they would say...I spent $8 for a hamburger. The message was...I spent all my time obsessing about MONEY!! For some strange reason DDP seems to soften this perception.

I guess people are more willing to pay $600 for their family going in than to get sticker shock at every turn.

We had friends go to WDW who had decided to stay off property and wanted to get the DDP, which of course they couldn't. My advice was to look at the menus beforehand, and to make peace with the prices before they left. I still wonder if I did the right thing by telling them to make peace with the prices as these were fairly affluent people. But...I've not met any newbies that didn't obsess about the high prices.

We live in Alabama with lower costs, but lower salaries as well, so really high prices are harder for us to absorb.

Of course...that goes back to planning doesn't it.

As my millitary friend says, "Prior proper planning prevents (expletive) poor performance."

Don't expect to be able to see everything or go on/into every attraction in one trip of a week's duration. It cannot be done.

Please pay attention to the Cast Members instructions. These are not people on power trips; they are there to assist you in safe enjoyment of your experience. But if you need help, ask any Cast Member; even the custodial people know what is going on - it is part of their job.

Take lots of snacks with you, and water- Orlando water= yucky tasting!
Wear sunscreen, even if you go in January!!
Watch the rides on Youtube-- you can really get a feel of if you're going to like a particular ride or not (if you're a scardycat like me... :rolleyes: )
Use those fastpasses- especially for SOARIN!

Take ponchos and a extra pair of socks. If it rains you can change the socks. I will second the staying on site. We stayed at the all star movies, and I never left the hotel or parks. The food is pretty good and prices wernt to bad.

1. Use Fastpass especially when going during the traditional "busy" times.
2. Make ADRs if you don't want to eat all CS meals.
3. stay hydrated
4.Sunscreen! Especially if your complexion is Casperlike (like me;) )
5. There's no shame in taking a break, especially if you're onsite. Naps and pools can cure crankiness in both kids and adults.
6. RELAX...

We're just back, and here are my most important tips:

1. Rest. Don't burn the candle at both ends. Take time to swim and sleep.

2. You absolutely can't come close to doing everything, so pick what you REALLY want to do and make sure you enjoy it instead of thinking about what you need to get to next.

3. Characters ROCK.

4. Enjoy the little bits of magic. They're everywhere...in the signs at attractions, in the costumes and decorations.

5. Talk to the cast members. They are fantastic!

6. Drink WATER. And lots of it.

7. Wear a HAT. It's not always attractive, but it does wonders.

8. Wear good supportive shoes with moisture wicking socks.

9. I LOVED the Pirate Princess Party. Highly underrated.

10. Go slow. Otherwise you miss everything.

I think I may be against the grain, but I don't think you have to read everythign there is on Disney ahead of time to have agreat trip. Mind, if you totally have no clue about anything, go during peak crowds, can't read the guide map to learn about Fastpass...then maybe your trip won't be ideal...but you also don't need to know about every type of special activity Disney offers either. Some folks get carried away with that stuff before they go and get overwhlemed. You can have a great trip sticking with just teh basic attractions, a few character greetings, and a few good meals.

IMO, I think the biggest thing first timers need to know is the cost. Most importantly - how much it costs to eat at WDW. I think that' sthe part most first timers forget. They pay all the up front costs, and then get upset when they find out how expensive food is, because food is oneof those variables that's hard to calulate ahead of time. Because it's an open ended thing, people tend to underestimate it. Unless you get the dining plan, it's easy to underbudget food costs.

Research and plan just enough so you know what you're doing but not so much that you ruin every surprise for yourself. Plan, but don't over-plan.

Plan a "resort day" at the halfway-mark of your trip. Sleep in, swim at your resort pool (do a load of wash, since there are usually washers by the pool), shop, then eat a nice dinner at your resort.

Some people can't fathom this because they figure they're paying so much for their park tickets, they can't take a day off, but if they thought about how much they were paying for their resort, this makes perfect sense.

And your feet will thank you!!!!

Relax! Because you can't do it all in one trip.

Slow down and soak in the magic pixiedust:

This is my number one advice also. So many times people come back from their first time, disappointed, frustrated and burned out. I've had friends who've had serious family meltdowns because some thing did not go according to the "plan" they obsessed about and every thing wasn't "perfectly magical".

Now I advise my friends and families to stop touring commando, don't feel guilty if you want to sleep in late and skip rope drop, enjoy the pools at your resort and spend some time actually talking to one another and not worry about running to the next attraction.

1.) Excercize before your trip,
2.) Wear sunscreen,
3.) Bring enough ponchos for the whole party,
4.) Take bottled water into the parks so you don't have to pay an arm and a leg while you're there,
5.) Maybe bring a backpack to store everything,
6.) Make sure to take everything in moderation,
7.) And last by not least... enjoy yourself!

:thumbsup2

I have friends who have taken their kids to WDW and just wore themselves out trying to do EVERYTHING in one "trip of a lifetime" visit.

My advice is start taking the children young. Maybe not a babe in arms - but old enough to be aware. Don't wait until they are "old enough to appreciate it". Start by doing a few things you can all enjoy together. You don't even "have to" visit every park.
(note - trip planning helps here :surfweb: like this site!)
Then visit again, next year - or in a few years. When our DD was growing up we went about every three years.
Every trip has been a treat full of good memories.

My #1 piece of advice is: "Plan like crazy before you go, then go with the flow once you are there!" Having things planned out decreases stress and saves time once you are there. However, you cannot be obsessed by your schedule. Things can and do come up that you have no control over, both good and bad, and you have to take it all in stride.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter