T.T.F.N.
&
Cheers:wave2:

Luv your writing style.:goodvibes

Can't wait 2 hear more -:thumbsup2

T.T.F.N.
&
Cheers:wave2:
Thank you! One of the classic tenets of writing is to write about something you love. Between Luv and things Disney, there's a wealth of topics. :thumbsup2

petals said:
this is better than tv. joining in!
Minus the sex and violence, of course. Well, one of those two, anyway. :rolleyes1 Seriously, that's a very kind compliment, and I'll try to keep you entertained along the way.

dragonflycurls said:
How fun! Can't wait to hear more!
Then you're in luck! I'm working on my next segment at this very moment. . .and thanks for tuning in. :)

[FONT=&quot]Disneyland, Here We Come![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I failed to mention something in my prior episodes. My secrecy had gone to the depths of assuming a second persona on the DIS Boards. If any of you happened across a similarly titled thread (“Shhh, Be Veh-wy, Veh-wy Quiet”) in the main Disneyland forum, the OP of that thread is none other than SavingMrBanks, aka, moi. Not having graced the hallowed streets of DL in 25 years or so (yep, that’d make me, ohhhh, about 35 right now. . .yep, that’s the ticket. . .), I knew my knowledge of park strategies and the nuances of making the most out of the trip would need updating. Heck, I used to park where DCA is now located! Ergo, I assumed the online name SavingMrBanks in order to get information about FPs, dining tips, WOC strategies, et. al., but in the off chance Luv would peruse the DL thread (she scans a lot of the DIS Boards primarily involving WDW), I didn’t want her uncovering my skullduggery. I tip my hat to all the tips I received from those who commented on that thread, and a special shout out to the Sticky, “DLR Info/Links” as the superb advice offered in that section was of immeasurable help. By adopting my alias, I was able to acquire all kinds of great information without worrying about you-know-who finding out. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Back to the trip, we woke early (our flight was at 0709 hours), hopped in our vehicle (aptly named Walt as we use him for all our hauls to WDW), and made the five-minute drive to the airport. I was pounding down ibuprofen, cold meds, and had a heating pad for my back. Nothing was preventing my enjoyment of this trip. In fact, my back—after a night on the heating pad—was already showing signs of rebirth, though the cold was a huge annoyance. The check-in was flawless as was the check through security, though I’ve yet to master the art of almost stripping entirely naked to get through the body scanner—I took off my light jacket and my shoes, emptied my pockets, removed my watch and belt, provided my family history going back three generations, recited the Pledge of Allegiance backwards. . .in pig Latin, had a dental x-ray, and was probed like I’d been captured by the aliens in INDEPENDENCE DAY (“Hello, boys, I’m b-a-a-a-ck!”). Still, the damn beeper went off when I walked through. I have to say I felt a sense of pride when the wand waver concentrated his efforts, ahem, just below the belt so to speak. [/FONT] :smokin:[FONT=&quot] I struck my best Buzz Lightyear pose only to find out the zipper in my pants was the culprit. Oh, well, it was nice to dream for a few seconds. My larger worry was that something in my carry-on bag would spark the interest of the x-ray agent. You see, even though the trip was to be my gift to Luv on her birthday, I wasn’t going to have a celebratory birthday meal without a proper present, and it was tucked away inside that bag. However, the bag sailed through with no alarms. More on that gift in a later installment. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The flights were unmarred by incidents (we flew into Houston and then hopped to LAX from there), and several hours later we were touching down in SoCal. The excitement was building, and I had regaled Luv with my entire back story on how I’d hidden all the research, phone calls, emails, and contacts regarding the trip. Now, however, it was time to focus our attention on the fun at hand. We were in the Land of Disney! Yeah, yeah, I know SoCal is much more than Disney, but for our needs on this trip, it was ALL about Disney. Our driver met us as arranged—Luken Limos if anyone needs a recommendation—and within half an hour of landing, we were zooming down various freeways on the way to our sleeping destination for the next four nights—the Grand Californian Hotel. We’re DVC owners, and in fact, our home resort is the Wilderness Lodge. As most of you likely know, the same architect designed both (and AKL, too): Peter Dominick. The idea of staying at a sister resort of sorts was naturally appealing; however, I wasn’t able to snag a DVC suite as the availability just wasn’t there, so this stay would be strictly on a cash basis. So it was that we came to stay at GCH, and as we pulled into the entrance, our smiles couldn’t have been any wider.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Next up: Loose in the Land! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Loose in the Land![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Being “owners” at VWL, when our driver slid into a spot in front of the hotel, we did get a slight sense of déjà vu. While not as massive as the Lodge, GCH does offer a lovely entryway, and we liked the sliding, stain-glassed doors offering a hint of what was to come when we entered. Naturally, yours Luv wanted to get a shot of said doors, but it was clear that would be a monumental task unto itself. See, they’re automatic doors, and they respond to anyone walking nearby, as in the next county it seemed. Plus, there were the folks walking out from the hotel, as well, so Luv was playing a game of pause, focus, frame, then “Who-o-o-sh!”—the doors would swing open. . .repeatedly. (“Who-o-o-sh” is a bit of a misnomer since they didn’t really spring open, more like crept at the speed of my 89-year old mother in her walker. Slow sounds too fast even.) Finally, I stood guard behind my wife with a big smile (as in “don’t you dare!”), and a couple of CMs in the lobby apparently figured out what was going on (I’m sure they’ve seen a thousand times) and stood guard inside which allowed Luv to get the pic below.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We checked in—well, got in line to check in—and Luv went on a quick look-see around the lobby. If you’ve not seen the lobby at the GCH, you owe it to yourself to take a peek. Again, while not quite as large or awe-inspiring as the Wilderness Lodge lobby, it’s still quite the beautiful, serene, and majestic scene with its towering columns, enormous stone fireplace (it would make a seriously good pizza oven), and gleaming wood beams and furniture. We were appropriately impressed. Not expecting the room to be ready as it was only 1 p.m., we were not surprised when the CM who did check us in reported as much. I gave her my cell phone number to text us when it was open, and as we stepped away, she looked at me, smiled, and said they would make sure the room was ready as planned. We dropped off our bags with the bell services desk. Now, it was time to check out the original happy place, Disneyland.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’ve a confession to make at this point, however. We were tired. While it was closing in on 2 p.m. there, our bodies told us it was more like 5 p.m. Naturally, there had been all the excitement of the day before, the excitement-induced fitful sleep last night, and general travel fatigue from having spent nearly 12 hours in an airport or airplane. We likely weren’t in our best moods even though we were exceptionally excited about being at DL. Keep in mind that this frame of mind colored the events to follow.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First, we had to get in Line #1—the bag check. Our first surprise came when we found that we couldn’t skip the bag check line as you can at WDW (if you had no bag, which we didn’t). That was a fairly lengthy line and only had two lanes open. Line #2 started right after that when we got stopped to get tickets. Most of the ticket windows were open, and we chose what turned out to be the faster of the two major lines; yet, it was still achingly slow. I hadn’t gotten tickets beforehand for a bevy of reasons I won’t go into right now, so we were stuck having to get them this day. We HAD to get into DL to complete Luv’s dream. I mean, why waste a day when you’re only there for a short time? Even our faster line had glitches as one window fiddled with a young couple--who apparently had no clue they were at Disneyland--for at least 25 minutes. See? I was a bit tired. Once we had our tickets—at the window and gone in less than three minutes—we drifted over to the main entrance to DL. . .for Line #3. Yep, we were getting tired of lines.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Good ol’ Line #3 at least moved. . .very, very slowly. When we finally got close to the gate, we saw the reason for the slowness (besides the tens of thousands of our closest friends being there)—they were taking pictures?! Thus, we were introduced to California Disneyland Resort Parks Two-Step or “This Is Stupid” as we shortened it. Now, WDW can learn a thing or two from DL for certain, but one of them ain’t how to process patrons through the turnstiles. Holy mother of pearl! We figured out that not only are you required to have your ticket, but that it must be accompanied by a photo they have taken and, depending on the time of day, might also require proof of hotel, a birth certificate, your mother’s maiden name, a secret oath, and a hidden tattoo of Capt Jack Sparrow. . .and that was just the first person. After all that, we then had to actually go through the turnstile and show our tickets again! While we got used to the procedure, we never could quite figure out why it takes two people to check you through the turnstile (the photographer/ticket checker then the actual gatekeeper, Zuul). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]By now, we were finally through all the lines. . .to get in, at least. We took a few obligatory shots of the entrance and Main Street and just soaked in the experience. For a few minutes, we were blissfully unaware of anything or anyone but the fact that we were together in Disneyland for the first time. The memory of that moment will never fade. We had made it!

Next up: Isn't This a Slow Time?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Entrance to GCH

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Inside courtyard at GCH

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Obligatory Mickey flower shot

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

This is what we'd come to see!

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I hope somewhere along the way your wife managed to catch a picture like this of the doors:

IMG_2143_zps12e3c3de.jpg

...and it took me several minutes of patience to get them to stay closed long enough to take my picture too!

PHXscuba

Line #2 started right after that when we got stopped to get tickets. Most of the ticket windows were open, and we chose what turned out to be the faster of the two major lines; yet, it was still achingly slow. I hadn’t gotten tickets beforehand for a bevy of reasons I won’t go into right now, so we were stuck having to get them this day. We HAD to get into DL to complete Luv’s dream. I mean, why waste a day when you’re only there for a short time? Even our faster line had glitches as one window fiddled with a young couple--who apparently had no clue they were at Disneyland--for at least 25 minutes.

That's too bad you ended up waiting in line #2 to purchase tickets. Don't they still sell park tickets at the front desk of the GCH? I know they did last yr.

I hope somewhere along the way your wife managed to catch a picture like this of the doors:

IMG_2143_zps12e3c3de.jpg

...and it took me several minutes of patience to get them to stay closed long enough to take my picture too!

PHXscuba
She didn't, but this is a lovely shot, indeed. Thanks for sharing!

Cats2 said:
That's too bad you ended up waiting in line #2 to purchase tickets. Don't they still sell park tickets at the front desk of the GCH? I know they did last yr.
I think they do still sell regular tickets there, but they don't sell the 3-day military parkhopper tickets. We bought regular one-day passes to get into DL that first day, but we also needed the PHs, too. Unfortunately, those military PHs can't be mailed, and we don't live near a military installation that carries DL tickets just WDW ones. Thus, we were left having to stand in Line #2. ;)

[FONT=&quot]Isn’t This a Slow Time?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Originally, I had planned to come two days earlier so that Luv wouldn’t have to take so much time off from work; however, the military ParkHoppers weren’t available during that time, nor was the room at GCH available for my military discount, the reason being those were the last two days of the official spring break season. Fair enough. We’ll get in the day after one of the busiest times of the year, so crowds should be smaller, right? That’s exactly what we thought until we walked into the buzz saw of Disneyland at mid-afternoon. Holy moly! It was wall-to-wall people. For a moment, I thought we’d been somehow transported to WDW during spring break. Later, we heard from a few CMs that they were caught by surprise at how crowded that Monday was and how, ironically (and not in a funny way), that the day before—Sunday—had been unusually quiet. One CM used the term “ghost town” in comparison. Figures.
[/FONT]

Doesn't quite capture the mass of humanity that we saw but it gives you a hint. . .

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Still, we were undaunted and waded into the hordes. Every line we walked by had long waits and unending queues. Being that we were hungry after our long day and still had a few hours before dinner at the Blue Bayou, we headed over to Redd Rocket’s. Technically, we found ourselves there after seeing the line for SM was listed as 30 minutes (all the other lines we checked and walked by had waits of at least 60 minutes), only to get in line, see that it was nowhere near 30 minutes, then 10 minutes later were told that the ride was temporarily closed with an unknown time for re-opening. THEN, we found ourselves standing outside RR. We stepped in and found the first oasis in a desert of people—fresh-looking salads. Not only did they look fresh, they were! Where we live in the mountains of Appalachia, winter is not conducive to desiring salads, and though we frequently eat them as our main meal, sometimes the lettuces and veggies are tired looking. These puppies were crisp, tasty, and a real pick-me-up treat that fueled us the next few hours. Thank you, RR![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of course, reality sunk in when we dared go back into the park proper. Getting through the promenade where Buzz, Star Tours, Astro Orbiter, and the ill-conceived FP kiosks for ST was alone an exercise in patience. I’m quite certain I held hands with five different women, became a father to a dozen kids, and even saw Waldo hiding in plain sight. Wow. We walked around from land to land looking for the smallest waiting time, and we seemed to be out of luck. We had lucked out in that IASW was open today and the tomorrow before closing for refurb, so we headed over there. Nope. That line was inching toward Storybook Land. So, we reversed course and headed to POC. Surely, this staple would be like the one at WDW when even during moments of high traffic, the wait to get on POC is rarely beyond 20 minutes. Uh, no. Noticing the smallest entry line was to the Enchanted Tiki Room as we walked by it, we did an about-face and marched there. Sure enough, we got in right away! Success!! Hey, sitting down with Pierre, Fritz, Michael, & Juan beat the heck out of walking around with Tom, Dick, Harry, Jane, and Suzy x thousands. Finally, we had made it to an attraction at Disneyland. Can I get an “amen?” :cheer2:Soon, however, we were back into the human ocean, and we swam our way towards New Orleans Square to get our bearings for dinner later that night. Imagine our delight when we saw the wait time for Haunted Mansion was only 30 minutes. We jumped in line and hoped the wait time was close to being accurate (it was relatively close). A real ride this time![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here, however, is where we first experienced what would be a common occurrence during our entire trip, and it was an annoying one at that. Hmm, I’m not a delicate man, so how do I put this, well, delicately? It seems that holding spots in lines for other family members and friends has been taken to a whole new level at DLR. While allowing the occasional child to catch up due to needing a quick restroom break or the like seems completely normal, we were caught unawares at how frequently whole groups of people would wind their way ahead to join others. It happened twice on this particular HM wait alone. As it would turn out during the week, we had such line hopping occur on at least 80% of the rides/attractions we visited. A couple of times, we overheard the conversations of the groups involved, and their strategy had been to let group A get in line for, say, SM while group B rode Buzz then would catch up if they got out in time. Annoying to say the least. But, I digress from the fact we actually had made it to HM and loved it. It had that nostalgic similarity to the World’s HM, and we tightly held hands in the Doom Buggy reveling in our good fortune that we had dreamed about—a loving partner sharing heartfelt memories. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Alas, we had to leave HM, and though we valiantly searched for any other venues that were less crowded, the population in the park seemed to have doubled. Noting the location of the Blue Bayou, we opted to head back to the hotel since I had been notified while in line at HM that our room was ready. We were disappointed that we had enjoyed only two attractions in the nearly three hours we had been in DL. In fact, we were a bit deflated, no doubt due to our general fatigue and the unending crowds. We trekked back to our hotel, noting how close we were to the DTD Starbucks, and headed to the room to get off our feet, refresh, and then head back to DL for dinner.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of course, I knew there was yet another surprise waiting when we got to the room that would buoy our spirits. Yep, I’m chock full of surprises when I want to be. [/FONT]pirate:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As you can see in the pics above, I had arranged for a romantic package to greet my sweet Luv when she first walked into the room. Did I mention this was to be a birthday not to be forgotten? The arrangement was so lovely that we opted to leave it alone until we came back to the room after dinner. The GCH did a great job with this surprise. If you recall in the previous post, I mentioned the CM giving me a quick, knowing smile. I knew it was “the room WILL be ready” smile of which Luv thought nothing. I appreciated the moment since it put my mind at rest, and later I knew it would be a sight that would bolster our sagging energy. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We rested, showered, and changed before heading back to the Blue Bayou. We were excited about eating there after having viewed the menu. I had made all our dining reservations after sifting through dozens of DLR restaurant menus, and this one seemed to suit us. We waited perhaps 15 minutes before being seated; unfortunately, we got a table right at the service entrance from the kitchen and mere feet away from the hallway to the bathrooms. By this point, we were hungry and tired, so we opted to keep the table rather than wait longer to be reseated. That was not a good decision. The constant flow of servers to and from the kitchen made it impossible to have a quiet conversation. To make matters worse, our server had a habit of disappearing for long stretches of time. I had a salad (again, it was fresh) with my seafood jambalaya while Luv had the small bowl of gumbo with her Portobello mushroom couscous macque choux. I know Disney food isn’t as authentic as they’d have us believe; unfortunately, the spices for both the gumbo and the jambalaya were completely lacking. The gumbo tasted like gravy with shrimp in it, and the jambalaya, while chock full of seafood, was equally bland. There are certain techniques needed to prepare both dishes that were not accomplished (for example, there was no roux action at all). Further, my jambalaya was barely warm while Luv’s dish was essentially cool to the touch. We love both Portobello mushrooms and balsamic vinaigrettes, but her mushroom had apparently been soaking in the marinade for hours and hadn’t been grilled much since it was still oozing large quantities of vinaigrette giving the dish a peculiarly piquant taste rather than a smoky, subtle taste and texture. Heavy-handed is a term that comes to mind. I wish we could recommend BB, and we desperately wanted to like it, but between the table location, the inattentive server, and the uninspired food, we just didn’t. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In hindsight, I think we set our sights and goals for this day unreasonably high. I had some high-flying romantic notions and ideals for a perfect start, and while a few were met (hey, we made it to DL and the room was gorgeous, and we did get to ride HM), we were met with the reality that crowds do exist at DL just like at WDW, that long lines were inevitable, and that the dining situation might not be as exciting as we’d hoped. Again, we were tired (by the time dinner was over and we sauntered through DL, it was near midnight our time), and I’m certain that influenced our feelings. Nonetheless, I was slightly alarmed that the trip might not be what I’d hoped for in terms of magical moments.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Boy, was I wrong. . .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next up: Starbucks Saves the Day (kinda sorta)![/FONT]

naw what a lovely suprise in the room.. I always dream that someone will randomly leave a suprise in my hotel room someday

Enjoying your story! I hope your trip improves. :)

Just a side-note, my husband was an officer in MAC back in the day. We had a few SAC KC-135's stationed on our base. Hello to another military vet. :thumbsup2

Enjoying your story! I hope your trip improves. :)

Just a side-note, my husband was an officer in MAC back in the day. We had a few SAC KC-135's stationed on our base. Hello to another military vet. :thumbsup2
Oh, it did. . .immensely. :thumbsup2 I was also in MAC while stationed at Andrews AFB for a few years. By then, SAC had gone away years before, though to this day, I still say I was "SAC-umsized." :lmao:

petals said:
naw what a lovely suprise in the room.. I always dream that someone will randomly leave a suprise in my hotel room someday
Surprises are a good thing. Here's wishing that it happens to you. pixiedust:

I suppose your trip can only go up from here! Sorry for a bummer of a first day... looking forward to hearing how much better things get :)

I suppose your trip can only go up from here! Sorry for a bummer of a first day... looking forward to hearing how much better things get :)
I'm sure part of the frustration we felt was due to fatigue and the excitement overload. As experienced WDW travelers, we know how to maximize our fun there and have come to expect little things to go wrong on any given trip. However, we didn't apply that same logic to the DL trip, again I think due to just being tired. It's not real spoiler to say that we wound up having a blast at DL. More to come soon!

[FONT=&quot]Starbucks Saves the Day (kinda sorta)![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We intended to sleep in slightly given that we were on vacation and the fact the parks were only a few minutes away—no having to drive, bus, boat, or monorail to a park. However, those pesky bio-timers in us (remember, we’re on East Coast time) had us wide awake by 5:15. The good news: Starbucks was just around the corner. Literally. Actually, had we been able to jump off our balcony to the courtyard below and walk through the wrought-iron fencing, we could have been at Starbucks in less than a minute. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Note the courtyard circle has a walkway leading off to the left toward the main building and then another walkway in the middle of the picture heading toward the gap in the buildings and partially obscured by trees. Starbucks is in the bottom of that building on the left.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In fact, we had to go down to the lobby, work our way to the DTD gate, then turn right and walk all of 100 or so feet. What a long haul! It took at least three minutes to go that route. Seriously, we were thrilled to be so close. We live in an area where the nearest Starbucks is a 40-minute drive. If you’ve been following along, you know I fresh-grind our coffee beans each morning, and when we go to WDW, we bring a grinder and whole beans. Yeah, we’re that addicted to good coffee. Now, Starbucks coffee can be bitter, but we almost always get lattes instead, and that’s when the strength of their espresso shines. But, I digress. Despite our being awake so early, we might not have started toward Starbucks until an hour later. I was ready within 20 minutes. You fill in the blanks. :rolleyes1 As we strolled toward the promise of a triple tall, one raw sugar latte for me and a double tall, skinny latte for Luv, we reviewed the previous day. We had some lingering disappointments from the day before but were determined to make our remaining time at DLR an amazing journey. We just didn’t know that would start five minutes later.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A little bit of magic happened here. . .
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We were among just a few early risers who had stumbled to Starbucks at that time of the morning, and we were immediately greeted by the smiling face of Yadalle. She took our order and engaged us in some friendly chatter. At one point, she asked if we were heading to the parks that day to which I replied “yes” and that this was Luv’s first visit to DL and that it was her birthday trip. We hugged and kissed through sheer excitement of the approaching day (besides, what else does a couple do while awaiting their brews?), when Yadalle asked us, “Could you wait right here for just a minute?” She disappeared to the back. Meanwhile, our caffeine manna arrived, along with my de rigeur Morning Bun, a delightful pastry with a lightly sugared crust, a yeasty-pillowy middle, and with notes of orange zest. Moments later, Yadalle arrived back to her register and handed us three special passes that were good on any attraction (save RSR). Wow. Just wow. It was a small gesture on her part, but it was enormously meaningful to us. Turns out, she was also a CM in the parks (she does a variety of duties from parade crowd control to working various rides), and she wished Luv a very happy birthday. . .with benefits. I can hardly begin to voice the emotions I felt when she gave us those passes; it was as though we’d won the lottery. The flood of emotions I felt no doubt were riding high on the recall of the less than spectacular day before, and I immediately began tearing up as I thanked Yadalle for her kindness and generosity. It was only then I mentioned that we’d had a few disappointments the day before, so the timing of her gift couldn’t have been better. My voice literally cracked as I attempted to convey our gratitude. Luv was almost speechless, and that alone is noteworthy. :laughing: In retrospect, Yadalle’s magnanimous gesture was the tipping point for the whole trip.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next up: Disneyland, Prepare to be Boarded![/FONT]

Wow, what great Disney magic for Luv's birthday trip! I would be speechless too. :)

Do you know what time the Starbucks opens? I'm hoping early so I can get my happy juice before going to Magic Morning.

Wow, what great Disney magic for Luv's birthday trip! I would be speechless too. :)

Do you know what time the Starbucks opens? I'm hoping early so I can get my happy juice before going to Magic Morning.

Note I said "almost speechless." :-D That particular Starbucks opens at 6 a.m. every day and stays open to 11 p.m. or midnight, I believe.

:rotfl: First I took too long to get ready and then I talk too much???

THIS is how you profess your undying love for my awesomeness???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter