“On the Disney Cruise...FINAL THOUGHTS 02/13

Sunday Morning I woke up to the sounds of the engiines thrusting backwards as we turned, I think. It was still dark. I watched through the sheers on the window as the captain parked the boat. I watched the debarking video on the TV, and Jim woke up about dawn. We had that, "darn it, vacation's over!" feeling. My handsome room service guy went out and got my coffee - he said the line was really long this time!

We got dressed and headed down to breakfast. We happened to be seated at the same table as our day in Grand Cayman, with 2 couples who we had sat with that day also. It was fun to check back with them and see how their GC day had been. Leaving the ship was way more relaxed on this cruise.

On the Disney cruise, we were given a time we HAD to leave - I guess we were using DCL transportation, so that was alot of it. There was a mad rush to stand on the stairway to the dungeon. In this dungeon were shelves that corresponded to the character on your deboarding card or something like that. It looked so crazy confusing that we gratefully accepted the services of a Porter and he got us through customs, checked us in for our flight and kissed us good-bye at the bus. J/K :rotfl:

Today, We had a de-boarding number left in our cabin the night before. We enjoyed our breakfast, and once they called your number, you were "free to leave" the ship. We got in a line we thought was for US citizens. Turns out they were saying, "non-US citizens!" I only noticed because the passports around me didn't look right. I asked a CM, who sent us to another line with no waiting!

We walked off the gangplank, not the dungeon. In the terminal, the luggage area was kind of like at an airport. The luggage was going around on a carousel. We flagged down a porter, and he got our luggage for us and then we got in another long line to leave the building. He got scolded by the TSA agent because he jumped us into a line that was either VIP or handicapped, not sure:confused3 but everyone started following us and she lost control. She warned him that she would give him a ticket if he did it again:eek:

Okay, here's where it gets hairy. We head out to transportation, telling our porter that we are on the extended stay program and are on a shuttle. He wasn't aware of it, and had to ask about 3 RCCL representatives before he brought us to a bus. He told us to wait there and we tipped him. A girl comes over with a clipboard - checks the roster - Nope. We are not on "the list." :eek: She doesn't listen to what it is we're trying to do, just writes our names on the list. Okay, NOW we're on the list, so we can board the bus.:confused3 At this point we have no idea where we are actually going.

When the bus was full and all the chickens were in the laps, we started driving around downtown Miami. We stopped at about 3 hotels, and then we drove out a ways toward the beach. We made it to the Hilton. I asked the driver if they also went to Fort Lauderdale, or if we were on the wrong shuttle. I was informed this was the last stop, we would have to ask guest services inside the hotel.:scared1:

Remember, when we booked this little excursion, our CM didn't speak English, and we asked if we could go to FLL? Remember how hard it was for us to get an answer?

So we get inside, we are herded to a room to place our luggage. We come out and I ask the bellman who is hailing cabs about the shuttle to FLL. "Ma'am, there is no shuttle to FLL. You're in Miami. Your only option is either to take the next shuttle to the Miami airport, then get on the RCCL shuttle to FLL from there, but it will cost $35 each, since you don't have a voucher and they might have left already. My best advice is to relax here and take a cab to FLL, which will cost you about $85." I have consolidated all of his answers to all of my questions here, but you get the gist.

So, we headed in to the beautiful lobby and I called RCCL. I was on hold for a long time, then the agent put me back on hold while she called the ship. They verified that I had paid for the shuttle service, but it was to MIAMI and there was nothing they could do for us. They were really sorry for my inconvenience.:headache:

At this point, we decided to just make the most of our time, enjoy the fact that we could relax, and take the cab. We would have spent the $75 to have a nice place to spend the day, anyway. The cab ride was the only extra expense, really.

I was a little chilly inside, so we found some chairs out by the pool and laid down to take a nap. We went for a little walk out the back dock, which bordered on a canal area. There were manatees there, I heard one "snorting" behind me in the bushes, but I could never see it. It was a nice place to relax. We bought a sandwich to share from the snack bar for $18, along with cokes from the bar for $4 each.

Our flight was at 8pm, so around 4pm, we hailed a cab and got our own luggage out there. The ride was $82 before tip- there was a chart on the window that had a mandatory limit on the ride to just a mile before the airport to be $55. That extra mile cost us an extra $27. He dropped us off at the wrong terminal, because he didn't know where Spirit Airlines was. We didn't give a really generous tip - just weren't feeling it at the moment.

We walked about a half mile to the right terminal, and waited for the desk agent to come to work again. (Spirit Airlines, what can I say?) After we checked in, we headed upstairs and had probably the best meal of our whole trip! In a burger bar! LOL!(B.J.'s I think) I had a steak sandwich, and Jim had a spicy turkey sandwich with plantain chips and a couple of glasses of a really good Cab. We watched a football game - I believe it was Auburn - we were following the other teams who were competing with our Ducks for the championship.

We had a nice flight - 2 of us in the exit row- we could stretch out and sleep. I think we slept most of the way to Las Vegas. In Las Vegas, we waited 20 minutes for what turned out to be the WRONG LaQuinta shuttle. I should have just offered him a tip to take us, but I was so tired, and he was rude, so he dumped our bags out and I had to go back in the terminal - I couldn't get back to baggage claim, and then I remembered I had a CELL PHONE!:thumbsup2 we were so tired, we just weren't functioning. Should have just called a cab. At this point, it was 1am PT, which would be 4am in the time zone we were used to.
We got to the LaQuinta, which was a little old, but had a nice courtyard and we met some DVC owners in the breakfast room the next day!

We got to the LV airport in plenty of time, and had a nice flight to Reno on SW. I love SW. Our 5 hr drive home was uneventful, and we picked up our little dog at the vets. The weather was actually warm and sunny - 50's - we were happy not to be coming home to a Fall snowstorm.

NEXT: RECAP AND REVIEW, LESSONS LEARNED

i would have told him to drop me off 1 mile from the airport, took my luggage out of his car, then got back in for the rest of the mile, and paid him less.
:laughing:

wonder if that would have worked?
:confused3

i would have told him to drop me off 1 mile from the airport, took my luggage out of his car, then got back in for the rest of the mile, and paid him less.

I was kinda thinking the same thing, except I probably would have told him to drop us off a mile away, then call another cab to take us that final mile.........:rolleyes1

That was some major hassle and challenges to end your trip!! At least you made it home safely.

Well, the spot where we crossed over was on the Freeway, so he couldn't stop. It was like up to here XXXX the limit on the fee is $55. If we are going further than here XXX we will use the meter. I guess you could stop before that point, then start the meter again, but he probably wouldn't let you back in!:rotfl:

Yes, we are always blessed when we get home safe and sound.:goodvibes I kept thinking what a good story it would be for my DISbuds!

ha I was thining of something like that too LOL. Actually mine was more like I would get out and just walk. but yours sounds much more relaxing LOL.

Sucks about the 3hour tour... but hey sort of got a mini trip out of it LOL looking for that silver lining for you... :rolleyes1

Glad you got home safe and sound (obviously LOL)

Im interested to see how disembarck is on our Carnival cruise. I thought Disney was much easier then our 3day RCCL booze cruise we were waiting forever to be called, then forever in line. Where as disney was right after we had our breakfast. Granted the 3day in Pedro.

BTW, hmm might have to take a trip down to LA to wish you farewell.

Hows your meets thread going for that too? I so miss the DIS, cruise critic just isnt the same its like pulling teeth for people talk there.

So sad to see it end (im sure your more sad LOL) but cant wait for the end review!

ha I was thining of something like that too LOL. Actually mine was more like I would get out and just walk. but yours sounds much more relaxing LOL.

Sucks about the 3hour tour... but hey sort of got a mini trip out of it LOL looking for that silver lining for you... :rolleyes1

Glad you got home safe and sound (obviously LOL)

Im interested to see how disembarck is on our Carnival cruise. I thought Disney was much easier then our 3day RCCL booze cruise we were waiting forever to be called, then forever in line. Where as disney was right after we had our breakfast. Granted the 3day in Pedro.

BTW, hmm might have to take a trip down to LA to wish you farewell.

Hows your meets thread going for that too? I so miss the DIS, cruise critic just isnt the same its like pulling teeth for people talk there.

So sad to see it end (im sure your more sad LOL) but cant wait for the end review!

Sounds like each disembark might be different. Maybe it depends on a lot of factors.

Our meet thread is a little slow, but we have some great people, and they're doing lanyards and FE. I have asked several times if anyones is actually planning a meet, and offered to plan one, with no response. Either I'm not invited, or I'm writing in invisible text! :rotfl2:

Thanks so much for reading and bringing some fun along. I'm looking forward to your next trip, too!:3dglasses

Oh my gosh, what a story!!! That sure is a lot to go through to go home. Well, at least you're home!

This voyage is over, but I thought I'd say a few things in closing about which is better about our experiences with RCCL and with DCL.

and some lessons learned.

RCCL:

Embarking - more organized and less restrictive. You get in a line, you check in, and when you have your KTTW (only they don't call it that :goodvibes) You simply go up the escalator, onto the deck, stop for a picture and head on in!

Upon Boarding - horrible! - You are not quite sure where to go, and no CMs are directing you. You walk right in to a cloud of smoke - you go in the door on Deck 4 which is the smoking lounge area. :sick:

Ship Decor: Very nice, rich looking and interesting, without being too "over the top."

Balcony Cabin: :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Nice soothing decor with light shades of turquoise and blue. Lots of storage and a good use of space. The King sized bed was situated right next to the balcony door. Nice to be able to lay in bed and look out!
The bathroom space was a little tight - only one, and the shower was a "tube" structure with a round sliding door, but we got used to it.

Cabin Steward: James - Great service, took care of our every need and always greeted us by name. He was always keeping an eye out in the hallway to pop out and see if he could do anything for us!

Food: Mediocre to bad to inedible. We were disappointed over all with the food in most cases. It was apparent they used cheap ingredients and poorly prepared recipes. When your favorite food is the sanwiches in the coffee shop, something is wrong with your cruise. No food convenient to the Pool was a little disappointing.

I forgot to mention Johnny Rockets. This is a premium place, so there is a surcharge of $4.75 pp, plus an extra $3.50 for shakes or sundaes. We weren't interested in paying a surcharge to eat a burger, so we stopped in to ask if we had to pay a surcharge just to have a shake or sundae. and we were told that yes, if we took a seat there it would cost $4.75. That would be $8.25 for a dessert on a cruise. :sad2:

We rarely found the ice cream station, Sprinkles open, and when it was, it was for little tiny cones with very watery ice milk. Hardly worth going on a trek for.

Dining Room Service - We met the head server once:confused3 Our Server did a good enough job, but he treated us like we were bothering him, and was kind of surly at first. Our asst. server was okay service-wise, not really personable, but I think he was shy. We got to be friends by the end.

Bar service - Pretty good - delicious drinks, especially the Labadoozee on Labadee!

Private Beach - Labadee, Haiti. - No theming, lots of hard selling, but in all fairness, these people are really suffering outside the facade of the beach.
There was no "adult beach" but there was some space out further near the entrance to the zip line where there were mostly adults, because it was closer to the bar and farther away from the beach toys. The water had a huge drop off, with really loose, course sand on the bottom. You would sink ankle-deep in it when in the water. It wasn't really clear, but a hurricane had just been through, so I'm not going to blame the cruiseline for the weather.
Beach BBQ: The food was delicious - I thought it was better than cookies. They kept it coming out hot and fresh, and managed to keep it covered to keep the flys away. The watered down lemonade, however gave it a downgrade. We ate at our chairs, but it seemed like there were plenty of tables in a covered area with a cement floor.

Ship Activities: I think this is subjective. If you love to drink alot and dance in the clubs and shop, I think you would say it's great! If you are young and adventerous, the rock climbing wall and the Flowrider are awesome! The Ice Skating rink is interesting for at sea, I just never seemed to catch the time right for it. There are definitely more active things to do on Liberty!

Entertainment: With the exception of the Ice Show, they try hard, but it just can't hold a candle to Disney! No Contest. It was hard for DH to catch any sports in the sports bar besides soccer.

The sailaway party was a yawn. I don't know why they even did it.:rotfl:

Cruise Critic Meet: Once we had 25 register from Cruise Critic, LOS graciously set up a nice reception for us in a beautiful lounge overlooking the ocean. It would be nice if DCL would do the same for DIS meets. They gave us gifts, and had a nice array of snacks and desserts and coffee, etc. set up.
The cruise Director came to speak with us and acknowledge Cruise Critic, and of course try to sell some activities.:lmao:

Overall Feeling of the attitude of the crew: "How can we get you to spend more money?"

DCL:

Embarkation: While disorganized, the PC terminal is magical and fun. The Mickey hands along the top of the wall were decorated with Christmas garland when we were there - really cute! I don't understand why they are giving boarding card numbers - I guess it's because Disney fans are so early that they just don't want a stampede when the ship is open.

Upon Boarding: Magical! You board through the Mickey Ear passageway, stop for a picture and then You walk across the gangplank, and walk right in to the beautiful atrium, where your name is announced!

Ship Decor: Love It!! I love the retro, understated elegance of every inch of the Disney Magic. I'm looking forward to seeing the Wonder soon! I understand the Dream and Fantasy are a little more modern, but I hope they don't lose the old fashioned, "when only the rich sailed" feel.

Balcony Cabin: Very nice and cheerful, very spacious! The decor was nautical with small Disney touches. The Queen sized bed was very comfy, and the pillows are dreamy! I enjoyed the steamer trunk for storage, and there was plenty of closet space. The bedspread looked a little worn. Having the split bathrooms was nice. With the size of the cabin, it didn't take away from the living space at all.

Cabin Steward: We met her once, she offered to bring ice every night, and then we never saw her again. She took good care of the room, except the bathroom floor was grubby when we got there, and there were hairs in the corner that were not ours - they remained there the whole cruise!:eek: The Veranda was also kind of dirty. I wondered if they only clean them occasionally.:confused3

Food: Excellent! We thoroughly enjoyed every meal! We have since compared meals out with "cruise ship good!" Which we have maybe only had a few meals that good since the Disney Magic! We enjoyed having the food available close to the pools, and the drink station is the bomb!

Dining Room Service: Excellent! Although we didn't see our Head Server much, our server Corina and our asst. server Alex were awesome! They learned our names and had our drinks ready (well, if you were consistent) before we sat down. Alex is a somelier and loved to suggest wines for me to go with dinner, and educate me about them. I enjoyed the banter and information., We learned about their families, and when we saw them around the ship, they always remembered us and talked with us!

Of course the dining room rotation is another magical Disney experience. It was fun to move to the different rooms and enjoy the atmosphere. Pirate night was especially fun! pirate:

Bar Service: I found the service to be a little slow at the bars - not sure why. There were definitely not as many of the bar waiters going around taking orders all the time, but that is okay on a family ship. The most fun bartenders were at Serenity Bay at CC. The Konch Coolers are Yummy - especially when they are offering them at half price on your way off the island and back to the ship!:thumbsup2

Castaway Cay, Private Island: I don't think anyone out there can come close! The theming and family activities, as well as toy rentals and excursions offers plenty for everyone! Plenty of chairs and hammocks and shade - great shops and of course Serenity Bay - Heaven on Earth!:cloud9:
The only disappointment was that we couldn't stay longer, and that there were no fish to be seen on the SB side for snorkeling.

Beach BBQ: We were a little disappointed with Cookies 2. The selection was a little limited, and the food was a little dry. There didn't seem to be enough seating. This is a personal thing, but I didn't enjoy eating with men in speedos and no shirt, and ladies in thongs, elderly men with no shirts on - do you get the picture? Kind of ruins my appetite - I think they should have a sign that says, "Cover-ups at lunch, please" or something like that. I just don't like to see a bare butt going by my table while I'm eating.:rolleyes1

Ship Activities: Fun for everyone! I guess our focus is on entertainment, so we enjoyed all the family game shows, and Match your Mate, and the trivia and the Bingo. The wine tastings and cooking classes were affordable. There were alot of free demos and games to play. We never felt like they were just shuffling us around - it felt like they truly wanted us to have a good time!

Entertainment: It's Disney!!!! We loved all the broadway-type shows. The entertainment staff was so good. I found myself starting the standing O and actually crying at the end. They had a great magician-comedian, and Narnia opened on Friday on land, we got to see it first on Thursday on the ship!!! Jim liked having ESPN in the cabin, or the Sports Bar.
The Dive-In movies at the pool is just another great addition. I loved laying in a deck chair after pirate night, with a drink in my hand, watching POC!pirate:
Of course Pirate night and the fireworks was lots of fun and unmatched anywhere!

DIS Meets: We had a great group of people on the boards - Jim was a little shy, so we didn't really connect too much, and then I slept through a couple of meets - I was just so relaxed!:cloud9: It would be nice if DCL would give us a meeting place, instead of us "taking over" an area on our own.

Overall feeling of the crew: "How can we help you have the most fun!"

Continued Next Post

Lessons Learned:

1. Don't expect a cruise line to be just like another - take each one as it is and look for the best experiences and have a positive outlook. I tried really hard not to do this. I think if this had been our first cruise, we would have thought it was fabulous!

2. Take time to talk with the CMs and get to know them as much as possible. It is so fun to learn about everyone!

3. Even if you are delayed in tendering off, it is worth it to make the trip, even for a little view of the port.

4. BEWARE OF BEES IN GRAND CAYMAN!!! :rotfl2:

5. Pay attention to the operating hours in the Dining Rooms for breakfast and lunch so you don't have to eat buffet so much.

6. Take more cash out in port - so many tips eat up your shopping money!

7. If you are traveling with other families who don't have the same touring habits as you - plan ahead to just "meet up" when you get there, or "save chairs" there instead of spending all day waiting if you are ready to go. Less Stress.

8. Find out as much as you can about "adult entertainment" to be sure it's a place you want to be.:rolleyes1

9. You can find another port excursion company by searching on TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic and here on the DIS. Be careful, but you can save money and have twice the fun by doing that - just remember to do it early in the day to be sure you are back on time!

10. Peat Taylor in Jamaica is awesome!!! We did exactly what I've always wanted to do in Jamaica, and just skipped the high pressure shopping. I want to go back and do Sandals or something there sometime!:cloud9:

In conclusion, thank you so much for sailing with us! I have appreciated the readers and posters and even the lurkers!;) It was fun to re-live the trip as I wrote it.

I don't want to sound ungrateful. We were truly blessed to be sent on this cruise, and it was a wonderful gift! There were alot of great things about LOS, just maybe not as much to our taste as DCL. We are, after all, Disney snobs. :snooty: We may try other cruise lines if there are itineraries we want or some awesome specials, but I think DCL will always be first in our hearts. (I'll let you know after our April cruise)

I've saved a spot for a PTR for our next cruise: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=39932602#post39932602 If you're patient, I'll get it started soon!

Thanks again for coming along! M-I-C- SEE YOU REAL SOON!

I have to agree with you about Cookies 2, E and I lost our appitite there also! lol I like my buns toasted and all but for my hamburger not for my eyes to see! LMAO

Im trying to keep an open mind when we sail next month, but its hard knowing some of the differences already.

Thanks for taking us along! and I cant wait to hear all about your next adventure!

Loved your summary.....

I saw you on the Cruise thread about not "being Magical ". We were on that crusie. Dining was our only problem. Hoping they have all the kinks iron by next year when we sail again.

Looking forward to your next trip too!

Oh yeah I did not go in the wrong washroom but a poor fellow was in ours. My dd and I walked in and he said you are in the wrong bathroom we scooted out fast but then notice we weren't. Boy was he red.....:rotfl2:

Tammie, thanks for the synopsis and comparison! We haven't done a cruise yet, but I sure got a good education reading along. At least I will know things to look for........like the DCL schedule if we plan to go cruisin'!:cool1:

I have to agree with you about Cookies 2, E and I lost our appitite there also! lol I like my buns toasted and all but for my hamburger not for my eyes to see! LMAO

Im trying to keep an open mind when we sail next month, but its hard knowing some of the differences already.

Thanks for taking us along! and I cant wait to hear all about your next adventure!

Yeah, keep your toasty buns to yourself! :rotfl2:

Just really look for the good, and don't expect Disney! I know you will have a great time!:goodvibes Or at least a good drink!

Thanks so much for being here - come back with a TR!!!

Loved your summary.....

I saw you on the Cruise thread about not "being Magical ". We were on that crusie. Dining was our only problem. Hoping they have all the kinks iron by next year when we sail again.

Looking forward to your next trip too!

Oh yeah I did not go in the wrong washroom but a poor fellow was in ours. My dd and I walked in and he said you are in the wrong bathroom we scooted out fast but then notice we weren't. Boy was he red.....:rotfl2:

Oh Yeah! I saw you there, too! Thank you for your comments:)

I hope your next sail is a good one, too. I have seen mostly good comments about Wonder, so I'm hoping for the best!

That is a funny bathroom story!:rotfl2:

Thanks for coming along!

Tammie, thanks for the synopsis and comparison! We haven't done a cruise yet, but I sure got a good education reading along. At least I will know things to look for........like the DCL schedule if we plan to go cruisin'!:cool1:

Thanks for being here, Marv! It was more fun with you in the crew!pirate:

You really should take Mrs. Marv on a cruise, and of course, make it DCL!!!
Up to now, the best thing we've ever done, and DS, then 22 and DDIL went DCL for their honeymoon - they tell us the same thing!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

thanks for all the tips on the cruise line along the way and hte comparision you did through out, i appreciated it.
:thumbsup2

loved the comparison Tammie. If, and that has to be the biggest IF on the face of the earth, I get on a cruise ship it will be DCL. Between you, Ellen and Jennifer you have me sold.

loved the comparison Tammie. If, and that has to be the biggest IF on the face of the earth, I get on a cruise ship it will be DCL. Between you, Ellen and Jennifer you have me sold.

Our work here is done!:goodvibes

we want to, but think we will wait till our kids are older so they can enjoy the kid play areas and we dont have to worry about them being scared to be alone in them.

That is smart, Dan. It would be hard to truly enjoy everything with tiny ones, unless of couse, Grandma and Grandpa came along to help babysit!

Gah I'm so sorry your shuttle to FLL did not work out!! That is frustrating! I'm glad yo were able to at least enjoy the day though!!

I think your comparison should be very helpful for those considering branching out to a different cruise line. :goodvibes.

Thanks for sharing your experiences , I loved virtually sailing along with you, and we better do it for real someday! LOL!!! *cough*9/22/12*Cough*cough*
:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter