“Make A Wish Foundation” not just for terminal illnesses

Interesting – my neighbors told me that “Make A Wish Foundation” has granted them an all-expense paid week in Florida + Disney for their family. Their kids require weekly injection but otherwise live normal lives (sports, etc) & will live a normal lifespan. I thought they only granted wishes to terminally ill children, but it must be much broader than that. I can't take advantage of this, but it's useful info for anyone with children with a chronic but not terminal illness.

I have a kid that I used to watch that is going on a make a wish trip. She had a brain aneurysm and has some permanent disabilities from it. I guess it ranges from terminal to somewhat life changing illnesses.

I am a wish granter for Make a Wish. It is for any child with life threatening illnesses. That can range from terminal illnesses like cancer to kids living with immune diseases that may not look "sick".

My granddaughter had childhood cancer at age 8. She went on a Make a Wish Trip - she is in remission.

I knew that. I have donated to them before and right on the website it says. "Make-A-Wish® grants the wish of a child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition in the United States and its territories"

Each year Macys runs its Make a Wish promo at Christmas. For every letter to Santa they receive they donate $1 to Make a Wish.

I always assign those letters to Santa as a night's homework in the Catholic high school in which I teach. (Hey, they can do one night without math if it will make a difference to someone else.)

Two years ago, one of my kids stopped by after class and thanked me. Five or six years prior, she had gotten a Make a Wish trip when her cancer, now in remission, first appeared.

She's now a high school Senior, planning for college in the fall.

Some kids can have life threatening illnesses without "looking" sick. My dd10 has a rare clotting disorder and we have been told that if she receives a hit you her head, neck or abdomen she could bleed to death internally before we even know she's injured. So she doesn't get to do a lot that other kids do. She looks perfectly healthy. (She was denied a wish trip because she was not in danger at that point in time - of course she never will be until she is).

Wow...I kind of took offense to OP!

I am also a wish grantor. This is not a program to "take advantage" of by any means!

To set the record straight, you can't go to Make A Wish and ask for a wish. All children must be nominated by medical professionals who provide detailed information regarding the child's health issue. The file and nominating paperwork are evaluated by committee who will approve the child as a candidate for a wish.

As a previous poster mentioned the child does not need to be terminal but they do have to have a life threatening medical condition.

As far as OP knows her neighbor's child has to have injections but it sounds like she may not be aware of the underlying illness. It is irresponsible and frankly dangerous to imply that such an upstanding organization is anything but cautious in granting wishes to sick children!

My son was born with a CHD(congenital heart defect) and although he looks completely healthy and is allowed to play SOME sports(soccer only) because of his specific defect he is considered to have a Life Threatening Illness and we were granted a wish because of that.
We go out our MAW trip May 28-June 4. :-D

Yes, I stopped donating to Make a Wish when they expanded their criteria. I do understand that the process is thoroughly vetted, but I now find other groups that sponsor trips only for the terminally ill. Actually, I like to donate directly to a family with a terminally ill child. "Life threatening illness" is too broad of a term for me.

But I do find it heartening and uplifting that MaW was able to expand their policy - was it because they had so many donations or that childhood diseases and illnesses are less terminal now because of advancements?

My DS8 was diagnosed with leukemia in January and has been undergoing treatment. We've been blessed that his treatment has mostly gone smoothly and that he is usually feeling well. Although he is doing well, his illness has turned our family upside down. We are grateful that we were referred to MAW and will be taking a trip to Aulani resort next summer.

Yes, I stopped donating to Make a Wish when they expanded their criteria. I do understand that the process is thoroughly vetted, but I now find other groups that sponsor trips only for the terminally ill. Actually, I like to donate directly to a family with a terminally ill child. "Life threatening illness" is too broad of a term for me.

But I do find it heartening and uplifting that MaW was able to expand their policy - was it because they had so many donations or that childhood diseases and illnesses are less terminal now because of advancements?

Many are less terminal due to treatment advancements. My nephew has a condition that effects the cilia in his body. They essentially don't work so he can't cough up any mucus in his lungs, his hearing is bad and getting worse, he is infertile etc etc. ten or fifteen years ago he probably would have died before age ten. Now he has a normal life expectancy although he will have issues his entire life, including the possibility that a common cold could end with hospitalization due to pneumonia and death.

The advances in cancer treatments alone and aids. Aids is no longer considered terminal but chronic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!